cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA TR8620a Unable to install Canon's Driver Setup Package

jbreunig
Apprentice

Hello,

I recently purchased a new Surface Pro 7 with Windows 11.  I’ve had my PIXMA MX922 but ran into difficulties trying to install the driver software for the printer.  Windows was seemingly able to recognize the printer, but I couldn’t get the Canon software that I was accustomed to (scan utility, etc.) from my previous PC.  In addition to not wanting to use Microsoft’s limited scanner app, I felt that I needed the install package for my printer on this new PC.  I tried so many times to uninstall the printer and rebooting, but to no avail.  Every time I would download the driver package, I would run it and it would tell me the same thing: “MP Drivers have not been installed”.  After a full day of this, I gave up and ended up buying a new printer.

I purchased a PIXMA TR8620a printer.  I've set both up on the same wifi network, and Windows does recognize the printer (add device). I tried to follow the online setup at (https://ij.start.canon), but when I get to the stage of connecting the printer to the computer, I received the message:  "This printer cannot connect to the OS running on your device.  Please access the site from a device with a supported OS".  That’s frustrating, so I then proceeded to download the TR8600 series Driver Setup Package directly from Canon's site (Canon Support for PIXMA TR8620a | Canon U.S.A., Inc.) but have been unsuccessful with the installation.  This time, when I download and run the .exe, it extracts the zip file and ends with the message: “This program is not supported by the computer.”  This is eerily similar to what I just went through.  Again, I’ve been removing the printer, rebooting the PC and printer all day trying to get this to work but have been unsuccessful. 

I am at a loss.  I just bought a new printer and thought the connectivity would have been a breeze, but I now believe that something else is going on and that I just wasted some money and am in the same place I was yesterday.  I’ve been looking online all afternoon but was unable to find a solution that I thought would fix this and I don’t know where to go from here.

Any thoughts, guidance or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

jbreunig

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Is your Surface Pro running an Intel processor or an ARM based processor?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ARM-based processor.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon Knowledge Base - PIXMA / MAXIFY Products: Windows 10 / Windows 11 on ARM-Based Computers

Seems it should work.

Register your product and give Canon Support a call.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

jbreunig
Apprentice

Called and spoke with Canon support.  After they ran through a few troubleshooting ideas, including trying to install the basic driver/scanner driver from Canon (Print Driver and Scan Utility Installer Ver.1.04 (Windows)) the rep told me that I would need to contact Microsoft given the error that kept appearing after my attempts to install (“The program is not supported by the computer). 

I contacted MSFT who ran through a couple of troubleshooting ideas as well.  At first the rep thought it might be the printer may not be compatible with the ARM processor (only Intel), but I referenced the page provided to me above shows that the printer is compatible with ARM.  The printer does print using a driver installed by MSFT.  There was never an issue with being able to print, but the entire objective here was to be able to download and use Canon’s scanning software.  I also explained that I had Canon’s scanning software on previous PC (Surface Pro 4) and it worked great.  MSFT opened a ticket and got back to me this morning.  Their conclusion was that the printer SOFTWARE that I keep downloading and trying to install, regardless of selecting Windows 11, is still designed for an Intel based processor and not ARM and this is why it keeps failing to install.  They’re telling me that Canon needs to update their software to be compatible with an ARM processor.  Here is their full response for reference:

“Our engineers have made their internal research and find out that the reason why the issue with the driver is happening is due to incompatibilities, since the drives package is designed for Intel and not designed specifically for ARM architecture.  

They have confirmed this since the drivers package was installed with no problem in your Surface Pro 4 with Intel processor. is true that the printer can connect with the Surface and is because is connected via USB and the Surface recognizes by default the USB connections.  

Our best recommendation is contacting the manufacturer to ensure that they provide or create the drivers compatible with ARM architecture. Since there are no further actions required on our end, the case will be archive in our organization file.”

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments.  If true, how would I go about making such a request to Canon?

Thank you in advance.

You can provide feedback to Canon via the website:

Screenshot 2024-07-06 185103.jpg

I don't know if MSFT has a native scan app that might work.

If not, and if scanning is essential to your needs, VueScan by Hamrick Software is a paid solution. I use it even though I have the Canon IJ Scan Utility installed because of superior capabilities.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

jbreunig
Apprentice

This was helpful, thank you.  MSFT's scanner app is pretty basic.  I've tried the VueScan and it looks pretty nice with tons of features.  The one thing that I wish it had was the ability to scan from the printer/scanner to the PC (like the Canon software allowed).  Regardless, this is a good solution and I'm grateful for the tip.

Thank you again!

Announcements