cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static ip for MF753

cyberwasp
Enthusiast

I recently bought an MF753cdw laser printer. When I'm not using it, I turn it off. Sometimes when I turn it on, I have to go to the printer and find the IP. I read you can set a static ip but saw in a few forums post that it changes from time to time.  Since I don't print much, I thought of sharing it with my neighbor over the net if possible. TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Looking good.  One last thing to check.  

Right-click on printer > Printer Properties > Ports Tab

If the printer is added as an IP printer.  Its IP will appear with the check mark.  Yours will be the IP you assigned.  

shadowsports_1-1689637525108.png

Good work!  Have a beer.  You earned it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

You can set a static or reserved IP for any network device on your router.  Once set all you need to do is restart the device.  Moving forward it will always get this IP regardless of how often it's used or if it stays turned off for weeks or months at a time. It won't change on its own again.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Am still working on the router via a forum. However, I went to remote UI under settings>network>IP4 settings>IPv4 settings and turned auto off. If I understand it, this should keep the current ip address for the printer from changing.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The router is responsible for managing DHCP and IP addresses on your network.  What is the brand and model of the router.  Maybe I can instruct or direct you?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick, it's an AX6 AX5400 6-stream router: Firmware Version V1.0.12.120_2.0.83. It's been very reliable but has one of the most confusing interfaces I've seen. 

Here's a link to the manual on my synology: http://gofile.me/71kaC/mXxJp5JS2

Page 62. Reserve a LAN IP address. That will allow you to reserve the same IP address for any device (your printer) on the network that won't change - whether the printer turns off, or the network reboots. 

I opened the menu on the router, and it was already entered. did a screen grab to show you:lan.jpg

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The RAX50 is a Netgear product.  Stephen has referenced the correct instructions and your image shows where its done.  

Under > Address Reservation

Here you go.  Your router is using 192.168.1.0/24

A slash 24 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 will give you 254 IP addresses.  The router's LAN IP is 192.168.1.1

The DHCP pool is set to 192.168.1.2 ~ .254

Any IP between .2 and .254 can be assigned to the printer.  Once its connected to the network, you can look in "Attached Devices" on the router and confirm the IP the router has assigned to it.  It will display the MAC address of the printer's wireless adapter as well.  

Return to the Address reservation and press "Add".  Enter the assigned IP address.  Name can be whatever you like.  Enter the MAC address .  Press save.  Once the reservation is set, restart the printer.  The router will assign its reserved address to the printer.  Note, if you changed the printer's DHCP settings from "Automatic" you'll need to re-enable that for the printer to accept the IP address assignment.  If an entry for the printer exists, then you've already performed the steps and can continue.  (including this for others)

Now on your PC or MAC, add the printer as a TCP/IP printer.  This step tells the computer where to find the printer.  It IP address becomes the "destination".  Remember this only has to be done once.  🙂

My reference images are from an older netgear model.  

shadowsports_0-1678594626161.png

shadowsports_0-1653143733416.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Ok, I think I have all of your setting in place and returned the settings back to auto in remote UI for IPV4 Now I'll just use it as I have been and it should retain the ip. Here's what the printers came up as in the properties panel. Before it had an actual picture of the MF750 but it's no big deal.  Thank you sincerely for your help and patience.

prop.JPG

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Looking good.  One last thing to check.  

Right-click on printer > Printer Properties > Ports Tab

If the printer is added as an IP printer.  Its IP will appear with the check mark.  Yours will be the IP you assigned.  

shadowsports_1-1689637525108.png

Good work!  Have a beer.  You earned it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements