cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print Studio Pro BW mode compared to "Color" mode

Alan73
Contributor

Hi,

I have a Pixma PRO-1 printer and I'd like to understand how the B/W mode in the PSP works....does it use more grey inks than if I print a b/w image in normal mode (eg. thru Lightroom). My understanding is that normally a b/w image would be made up of some color dots as well as black / grey ink, but in the B/W mode there are only black and grey inks used...(is that correct)?
Do people find the b/w images are better with the B/W setting over using all the inks set (assuming proper profiles etc are being used)?

I'm printing some dark, moody, foggy type landscapes and want to get the best tones possible, especially in dark areas but I need them on a matte paper so just trying to figure out the best way to go.

Thanks!
Alan.

3 REPLIES 3

canonsky
Enthusiast

Hi Alan73,

I have wondered about this myself but I don't get intot he weeds about colour dots, etc. .I don't know the answers to your questions but I handle this by printing the same monochrome image both ways, one b&w the other in colour.  It is then easy to decide which one you like. For my taste I generally print b&w using colour setting. You just need to experiment and satisfy yourself. As you know every image is different as to shades of grey so the best way is to make a couple of prints; I often use 5x7 paper as tests befofe I move into the final, big print.  

Good luck,

Sandy

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

This site/person is a great printer resource.

Printer review: Canon Pixma Pro-1 A3+ 12 ink printer 13 inch print widh (northlight-images.co.uk)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks John, yes, that's a very interesting site. Lot's of good info.

Alan.

Announcements