cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA TR7020 "Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)"

cc3
Apprentice

Running Big Sur on Mac Pro.  Out of the blue, printer works fine (AirPrint mode), but when attempting to now scan, I receive the message:  "Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345).  Printer is recognized as default printer in Printers and Scanners and no errors appear.  I cannot find anything online about this error now appearing. (Firewall is disabled as well.) Printer/Scanner is a TR 7020.

11 REPLIES 11

bryanhiggs
Contributor

I, too, have this problem. I am on an iMac, running macOS Monterey, Version 12.2.1

My printer/scanner is a Maxify GX7020, and I have only just installed it. It prints fine.

But when I try to "Open Scanner" from the OS System Preferences "Printers & Scanners", it brings up a window that initially says "Waiting for scanner...", but then, after some time, says "Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)"

I also tried using the Canon IJ Scan Utility Lite app, and click on the "Refresh Scanner Information". It already has a Canon G7000 series entry for another Canon printer we have, but it does not find the GX7020.

Please help! It would be nice to be able to use this scanner.

Thanks!

I note that, when I try to do the same thing with the Canon G7000 series printer/scanner, it produces the same error.

Hi bryanhiggs,

Disabling IPv6 on your MAXIFY GX7020 will resolve the scanning error (-21345) that you are experiencing.  To do this, please follow the steps in this article:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART180168

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you! It did!

But why? I would have thought that, following a standard setup, the printer should be able to handle scanning by default? Are there plans to fix this?

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi cc3,

Disabling IPv6 on your PIXMA TR7020 will resolve this issue.  To do this, please follow the steps in this article:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART180164

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Bryan Higgs,
How do I disable IPv6 on the Canon TS3440 printer?
I am having the same issue as described here. Undoubtedly, Canon should fix this.
Cheers

Hi, Sinkala!

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thanks for posting!

We appreciate your participation, though we need to let you know that your PIXMA TS3440 appears to be a model that is not supported by our team here at Canon USA.  The Canon Community Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please click HERE and select your country to find support in your part of the world.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Thanks for choosing Canon!

Contributor

I just got a new laptop, a MacBook Air 2020 running OS 13, and I am having the same problem. The printing works, but the scanner says "Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345). Also, I have a different printer than you. I'm having this problem with the Pixma MG3222. I logged into the IP address and disabled ipv6, but it still doesn't work.

PatrickC
Apprentice

I have had same problem for a year and am again trying to solve it. I am on a MacBook air 2020 and the printer/scanner is a Canon TS5060. The printer is findable and works fine but the scanner gives that message  "Failed to open a connection to device (-21345)

Announcements