cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MP560 My printer won't prompt for a password

angelambell
Apprentice

I recently changed internet providers and since having the new service my MP5650 won't prompt to let me enter th epassword for the wifi. I've reset my wifi, attempted to reinstall the software on my computer, and reset factory settings on the printer. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For the records, we investigated for a customer the very same problem.

It turned out that 802.11r amendment makes Canon wireless detection go crazy and see WPA2 network as unencrypted.

Turning off 802.11r on Wi-Fi properties allows the printer to see the correctg encryption and connect.

After succesfull connection, by the way, you can even turn 802.11r back on if needed.

HTH, HAND.

View solution in original post

66 REPLIES 66

For the records, we investigated for a customer the very same problem.

It turned out that 802.11r amendment makes Canon wireless detection go crazy and see WPA2 network as unencrypted.

Turning off 802.11r on Wi-Fi properties allows the printer to see the correctg encryption and connect.

After succesfull connection, by the way, you can even turn 802.11r back on if needed.

HTH, HAND.

I've had about enough of this!!! But how do you do that? With your router settings or on your computer or what? I'm not a techie so this is hard. I don't even know how to get to my router settings. Shoot me now!!

"But how do you do that?"  How do you do what?  What is your question about?

I posted a solution to this a year ago.  It's on page 2 of this forum.  Have you tried it?  If your question, by chance, was about that...  It refers to running the install for the printer, so... that means on your computer.  You can't run an install of software on a router.

Granted, my instructions did leave a gap, because I was doing all from memory.  The point though, is that while installing the printer software, there is an option to tell the printer to connect to a wireless network, were via the installation software you can enter your Wi-Fi credentials.

Last but not least, call Canon, they will walk you through all that was indicated in those instructions.

I spoke with Canon multiple times. They were (or tried to be) very helpful but they didn't have a clue about this problem.

How do you turn off 802.11r on your Wi-Fi?  I looked at my lan adapter but it would not let me change the security parameter to none.  Not sure what to change.

That's a setting you have to look for on your Access Point configuration, not on the client side.

Well I have "Deco" TP mesh hubs all round the house and they come with a phone app. You go into Advanced Settings (on the phone app) and there you can enable or disable "Fast Roaming".

But this will different for different makes and different technologies.

This sound reasonable. But for a non-techie like me, which WiFi properties do I turn off the 802.11? Through the printer or through my laptop? Please don't say printer. I have no idea where to find that setting on my printer. 

It's a setting on the Access Point (or wireless router, if you have all-in-one gear).

You should use your web browser to access AP/router configuration and look for 802.11r setting, often referred to as "fast roaming" or similar description.

I don't know if I have access to that setting. But I'll look for it. Thanks.

Announcements