cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA G7020 Offline

njchoochoo1
Apprentice

Good Day, 

Once logged into my system I try to print something and I get a "printer offline" message. I have to run the printer troubleshooter and that resolves the problem. However the troubleshooter says it found nothing wrong so I have no idea what it's correcting. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Greetings,

This one is easy.

Your G7020 is going to sleep after some period of inactivity. 

What happens:

The router doesn't hear from the printer and assumes its no longer connected to the network.  It reclaims the IP address it assigned to the printer the last time it connected.  This is the IP your computer probably thinks the printer has.

Now the printer is needed.  When it wakes up, or is turned on again it connects to the router..  the router views this as a new device or connection request and gives the printer another IP, however, it might not be the same one it had before.  

The result is "Printer Offline".  Running the diagnostics refreshes the connection and now the printer can be used again, until the next time. The same will be true if the printer is turned off for a brief period of time (or days), etc.before being used again.

To resolve, assign the printer a static IP address or reserve an IP on your router for it.  This is an easy process and only needs to be done once.

Moving forward your router will give the printer the same IP address regardless of when it was last used, (went to sleep, turned off then on).  Your other devices will always know how to contact the printer because its IP will not change.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please tell us how the printer is connect and to what?

Also the OS you are using the printer with?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

My apologies for leaving that info out. I am connected wirelessly to an ASUS router and I am using Windows 10. Thank you. 

Greetings,

This one is easy.

Your G7020 is going to sleep after some period of inactivity. 

What happens:

The router doesn't hear from the printer and assumes its no longer connected to the network.  It reclaims the IP address it assigned to the printer the last time it connected.  This is the IP your computer probably thinks the printer has.

Now the printer is needed.  When it wakes up, or is turned on again it connects to the router..  the router views this as a new device or connection request and gives the printer another IP, however, it might not be the same one it had before.  

The result is "Printer Offline".  Running the diagnostics refreshes the connection and now the printer can be used again, until the next time. The same will be true if the printer is turned off for a brief period of time (or days), etc.before being used again.

To resolve, assign the printer a static IP address or reserve an IP on your router for it.  This is an easy process and only needs to be done once.

Moving forward your router will give the printer the same IP address regardless of when it was last used, (went to sleep, turned off then on).  Your other devices will always know how to contact the printer because its IP will not change.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you shadowsports. I'll give it a try. I appreciate your time. 

Thanks RIck. This has resolved the issue. I appreciate your time and please stay safe. Merry Christmas.

Stan

Hello Shadowports, how do I assign the printer a static IP address or reserve an IP on my router for the printer. Thank you.

Steve

Greetings,

The routers User Guide is a good place to start if you are unfamiliar with configuring the device.  

If you can share the brand and model, maybe I can point you to it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Connected to a iMac 21" running OS 12.0.1 Monterey. wifi setup that had been working fine until I did to OS 12.0.1 update.

I have tried to to troubleshoot myself but it still gives "offline" message.I then tried to connect via earthnet still "offline"

Greetings,

Regardless of how you choose to connect the printer. wireless or ethernet, you still need to assign the printer a static or reserved IP.  Once this is done, Apple menu > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners.

Highlight the printer.  Use the minus (-) key and remove the device.  Now use the plus (+) to add the printer.  Important, select the IP tab above and enter the static or reserved IP your assigned previously.  Note,  when you enter the IP address it will duplicate in the Device Name field below.  Edit that and give the printer a "friendly name"  (example) Canon G7020.  There will also be a Drivers field with a drop down menu.  You can use the arrow and select the Canon Driver.  Then finish the install by pressing OK.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements