cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New computer can't find PIXMA MX490

JackieJames
Apprentice

Hello,

My printer is connected to my personal wifi and my old computer and phone can find and print on it. However, my new computer cannot; whenever I try to set it up, it cannot find it on the wireless connection. My computer doesn't have an ethernet port so I cannot try a wired connection. Since it cannot find the printer, the setup wizard proceed far enough to download the necessary drivers and software.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

effnorwood
Apprentice

The issue is this. Your new computer very likely has much more advanced wireless capabilities than the printer. The printer only supports b/g and n, but really only g. To make this work, go to the advanced properties of your wireless NIC and set it to wireless g mode only. Then find the printer again and it will show up. My adapter has the below options. I set it to 02 - 11 g and the printer was found. No need to do any of the other settings of diable IPv6, DRS etc. Just match your adapter to the printer. Wirelss g -> wireless g. Once installed, set it back to the way it was. For me in this case 12 and all works as expected.

IMG_2158.jpg

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

effnorwood
Apprentice
Cool, happy to help. I spend a lot of time to make sure what I post is the actual issue and that the solution provided works. I hate wasting time. Cheers!
Announcements