cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neither MG5220 and LBP151detect the access point

AKN
Apprentice

Just moved into new home with different internet access (Spectrum) than previous residence (AT&T).  Using HP Spectre laptop w/Windows 10, both printers MG5220 and LBP151 were WLAN connected at old residence. With the same computer, in new home, I have been able to connect three computers, three ROKU and two tablets to the new network router ((Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC7265), however neither printer can find the network. I have tried wireless, easy setup, WPS, and WCN.  I also tried ethernet hard wire with the LBP151 and to no avail, that didn't worked.

I called Spectrum technical support and was advised 'Port Forwarding' might be the answer?  For that, the Spectrum Tech would need the Mac # or IP, the port #, and authentification UDP - PCP.  I think I have all that stated correctly, 

Does that sound right?  I've tried what has worked in the past, so I've run out of ideas.

AKN

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

No, that doesn't sound right.

What does port forwarding do?

It routes traffic from a device or the internet to a device, IP, port or application on your LAN.  Your printers are not hosting a website, or listenging for traffic from the outside as a destination in order to perform some type of action.  Ridiculous advice.

Tell us more about your set up.  "New network router"?  Is this something spectrum provided?  What model is it?  Is there any other equipment (your own wireless router for example)

You'll need to have access to the device which provides DHCP (IP) address' to devices connecting to your network.  Now when you connect a printer (or any device) you can review what the router sees and what IP address it has assigned.

Next step, can your HP computer (connected to the same network) PING and communicate with the device?

When I PING the IP of my printer this is what I see:

C:\Users\admin>ping 192.168.1.99

Pinging 192.168.1.99 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.99: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.99: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.99: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.99: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 2ms

In my case, I have told my router to give the printer this IP 192.168.1.99, this is called  address reservation. 

There are two ways to achieve this:

One, reserve the IP by the printers network interface MAC address

or

Statically assign the IP on the device in its configuration

What you don't want, a printer with an IP address thats changes.  This can confuse your computer if the destination (IP) changes repeatedly.

It doesn't mater how you connect the printer, either wired or wirelessly.  the router will assign an IP in either case.  Telling it what IP to use puts you in control.

One caveat.  If you are connecting to a wireless network that is dual band, and your wireless router uses "SMART Connect" One SSID (network name) for both bands, it possible for the printers to become confused and not connect to the network.  The radios in the printers are 2.4Ghz only and cannot connect to a 5Ghz broadcast.  So in this case, I usually recommend turining SMART connect off, get the printer connected to the 2.4Ghz broadcast, then re-enable the feature.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick,

And, yes Spectrum provided the Modem (an unbranded product of Spectrum PC15) and Router which is ethernet wired to the Modem.  The router is an Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 7265.  No other equipment involved.  The router IP assignment is automatic DHCP, the Protocol Wi-Fi 4(802.11n) using WPA2-Personal Security,  The Router has both 2G and 5G bands, both available using the same password phrase. 

Two things you said may be the things I need to followup on; telling the router to use a reserved address, and, turning off "Smart Connect".

Telling the router to use a specific printer IP address sounds promising but not something I am familiar with. Might need to do some research.  

It seems Windows 10 'Network & Internet' settings provides an option to use 'Random Hardware Addresses' so I'm wondering if that is considered 'Smart Connect' and maybe I should opt out?

Thanks for your advice,

We've been in the new house two weeks, printing is a priority, as are 15 other things!

AKN

Announcements