Hi, I've been trying for hours to get MP Navigator EX to open so I can use it with my CanoScan 5600F to scan negatives. I've had this scanner since 2011 and have used it succesfully on both my current laptop and a previous one I had. I'm running Windows 8.1, and as far as I know my OS hasn't changed since last time I used it. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both MP Navigator EX and the CanoScan driver, trying out both the downloads for Windows 8.1 and for Windows 8. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to fix it? My computer won't recognize that my scanner is plugged in either - it doesn't show up under My Devices. The scanner turns on and when it's plugged into my laptop, my laptop makes a sound recognizing that something has been plugged in to a USB port. I've tried every port and none of them will work. I downloaded the free trial of VueScan, which doesn't require a driver to work, and it was able to do a flatbed scan from my CanoScan. I'd like to keep using MP Navigator if there's a way to fix this issue.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Hi all, just wanted to update as I have found a solution. I uninstalled the driver and software, then restarted my computer. Then I went to C:\Users\YourAccount\AppData\Local\Temp and deleted all the files in that folder. Whatever file(s) it says can't be deleted, just hit "skip" and ok. Then I restarted my computer once more, reinstalled the driver and then MP Navigator, and now it all works as normal!
Please try the following:
1. Disconnect the scanner from the computer.
2. Go to the Control Panel. Then open Programs and Features.
3. Uninstall the 5600F drivers and the MP Navigator.
4. Visit our website at this link to download and reinstall the drivers and the MP Navigator.
Once this has been done, reopen the MP Navigator and try scanning again.
With your scanner powered on and USB cable connected, please follow these steps:
1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard and the letter R, then let both go.
2. In the Run window, please type devmgmt.msc and click OK.
In Device Manager, do you see "Imaging Devices" ? Is the scanner listed under it?
Do you see "Other Devices"? Is the scanner listed under that heading?
Try disabling your firewall or antivirus, then scanning using the MP Navigator EX. Sometimes an antivirus or firewall may be set too secure, preventing peripherals (such as this scanner) from communicating effectively. If disabling the antivirus allows scanning without issue, try adding the MP Navigator EX and appropriate ports as exceptions to the AV/Firewall.
Additionally, if the computer is a laptop, ensure it is plugged in and charging; automatic power saving features may cause the USB signal strength om batter power to be too low for the scanner to communicate, and may cause unused USB ports to "time out" or "go to sleep".
You may also need to check the type of USB port in use; some USB 3 ports (SS over the USB logo) may have trouble communicating with USB 2 devices.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
I disabled my firewall. I do not have an antivirus sotware installed. I then made sure my laptop was plugged in and not on power saver mode, then plugged the scanner in to a USB 2 port and turned it on, but I am still receiving the same error when I open MP Navigator that the driver is not installed.
Please follow these steps:
1. Disconnect the USB cable from your CanoScan 5600F.
2. Press the Windows key on your keyboard and the letter R, then let both go.
3. In the Run window, please type CONTROL PANEL and click OK.
4. In Control Panel, please click on Uninstall a Program (or Programs and features, depending on your view).
5. Click once on the Canon 5600F Scanner Driver and then click Uninstall at the top. Follow the on screen prompts to uninstall.
6. Once complete, click once on the Canon MP Navigator EX and click on Uninstall at the top. Follow the on screen prompts to uninstall the MP Navigator EX.
When both are uninstalled, please restart your computer.
Once the computer restarts, please reinstall the driver:
1. Click on the following link:
2. Click on the Select button next to "5600F Scanner Driver Ver. 14.0.7a (Windows)" and then the Download button.
3. Once the download is complete, please open or run "sd64-win-5600f-14_0_7a-ea24.exe" and follow the on screen prompts to reinstall the driver, reconnecting the USB cable once the installation prompts you to.
4. When the driver is installed, please click on the Software tab.
5. Click the Select button next to "MP Navigator EX Ver. 2.05" and then the Download button.
6. Once the download is complete, please open or run "mpnx_2_0-win-2_05-ea23_2.exe" and follow the on screen prompts to install the MP Navigator EX
When both are reinstalled, please attempt to scan.
Hi Patrick, I followed your instructions but I still have the same "driver not installed" error message popping up when I open MP Navigator. To clarify, when I am plugging the USB back in after the driver installation, should the power switch on the scanner be in the "On" position? That's what I did during the reinstallation. Also, when plugging in to the computer after the reinstall, a Device Setup window opened but the progress bar for this installation remained stuck and would not move even after waiting for a while.
The scanner needs to be powered on and connected to the computer in order for the drivers to install properly. Based on your description of the device setup window, the driver installation may not have finished. Once the scanner is connected, please wait for the setup to driver complete before attempting to launch the MP Navigator again.