cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MB2720 printer not staying connected to wifi

canonprint631
Contributor

My Canon MB2720 printer keeps failing to stay connected to the wifi all of a sudden. I restarted the printer it connected for a few then it lost the connection even when the settings on printer say 100% for network strength. When it loses the connection I cannot print from my iPhone either. My wifi my Mac is on that I want my canon printer to stay connected to is 5ghz. It used to always stay connected and I done multiple resets and pushed wps button on router multiple times. I also power cycled the printer unplugged it and plugged it back in after a minute. Sometimes it will show as connected on the printer and let me print  but it will eventually say connecting to printer and not connect. I think it might clear it up for a few while I reset the printer and then it will drop the connection. This never happened before with same modem/router in one (I have Optimum) and UBEE modem and router in  I reset LAN network settings and still no improvement unfortunately. Can someone please tell me how I can stay connected to my 5GHZ wifi without these consistent drops in network connection? Is there a special setting on the printer because I tried too many times and no improvement to the network connectivity, it would connect and then drop after I shut down printer and restart. Please tell me how to fix this. Like I said the network didn’t really change. Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Connected to 5Ghz?  The MB2720 has a 2.4Ghz radio (only) Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11b/g/n).  It does not support 5G and has no way to receive a 5Ghz broadcast.

I think what's likely is that your router is dual or tri-band and uses the same name for all broadcasts (2.4 and 5G)  Unless isolated, your two networks can "see" one another, so devices which are capable of 5G connectivity can see/communicate with 2.4Ghz devices connected to the same router.  

The behavior you are describing sounds like a DHCP issue.  Printer connects, gets an IP, is then shut down and gets a new IP address the next time its turned on.  This is normal behavior for a router that "leases" an IP address to a device when requested, then reclaims it so it can be issued to a new device when needed/connected.  This is called an address pool.  The router manages this pool handing out and reclaiming addresses as needed or when the lease time of an address expires. 

How to fix.  Your router will allow you reserve or assign a static IP to a network device.  These are not needed for devices that come and go from your network.  They are very helpful for persistent devices, like a printer which remains, but may not be used frequently or might stay powered off for extended periods of time.  The good news is, the setting only needs to be made once.  The IP you assign will never get assigned to another device, regardless of the amount of time which may elapse between use.  So you can leave your printer turned off for a year and it will always get the same IP address when its turned on again.  This means your computer can find it also, every time you want to print.  

Is your router model DDW365? This is commonly used by Cox and Spectrum.  Try visiting your ISP's website and look for the manual for your router.  It should have instructions for reserving or setting a static IP for a connected device.  Once done, you'll need to restart the printer and confirm its got the IP you assigned,  Then delete the printer from your MAC.  Apple menu > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners.  Select it, and press the minus (-) button to remove.  Now re-add it using the plus (+) button.  You can use the printers hostname or IP address.  Your MAC will re-add it.  Moving forward you should be able to print consistently.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

canonprint631
Contributor

It’s weird because it used to be connected to my dual band Ubee Optimum router and modem in one. Also I contacted Optimum they said they don’t have the static ip option? Any other way I can get it or change a setting on the printer for this to work? Thank you

canonprint631
Contributor

Also I would rather have this printer able to connect to the 5ghz network also because that’s the network my computer is usually connected to since it’s usually faster instead of the 2ghz and then I won’t be able to print if I am connected to the 5ghz and the printer is connected to the 2ghz I already tried. Looking forward for a reply so I can get this fixed and connected to the GHz somehow or find a way to print using the same wifi even if it’s on a different GHz network speed. Thank you.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

I will be happy to answer all of your questions. Please confirm the model number of your device so that I can find its manual and provide step by step instructions.  This information will be on a sticker probably on the bottom or the back of your router.  I found various user guides for UBEE, I just need to know which model you have?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you very much for these great details and for the assistance. It is Canon Maxify MB2720 (model) multifunction printer.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Canonprint631 wrote:

It’s weird because it used to be connected to my dual band Ubee Optimum router and modem in one. Also I contacted Optimum they said they don’t have the static ip option? Any other way I can get it or change a setting on the printer for this to work? Thank you

(Answer) Greetings,

Yes, your printer was connected to your UBEE Optimum Dual Band router, to its 2.4Ghz broadcast.  Not strange at all,  this is normal.  I think you may have asked Optimum incorrectly about a static IP.  There are 2 types.  One is on your WAN (wide area network).  The internet connection coming into your home.  This might be needed if you were a business or hosting a website.  Your ISP provides a static destination where people can find you or your website. 

WAN vs. LAN.  Your LAN (Local Area Network) is the network inside your home.  Your phone, TV's, iPADs, computers, game consoles and >> your printer.  This is where you create your static or reserved IP.  Its typically done on your router.  I looked at several UBEE user guides and all supported this option.  I'll do my best to provide the remaining steps, once you provide the model #.

@Canonprint631 wrote:

Also I would rather have this printer able to connect to the 5ghz network also because that’s the network my computer is usually connected to since it’s usually faster instead of the 2ghz and then I won’t be able to print if I am connected to the 5ghz and the printer is connected to the 2ghz I already tried. Looking forward for a reply so I can get this fixed and connected to the GHz somehow or find a way to print using the same wifi even if it’s on a different GHz network speed. Thank you.

(Answer) - I understand you would rather have the printer connected to a 5Ghz broadcast, but your printer does not have a 5Ghz radio.  It only supports 2.4Ghz and cannot connect to 5Ghz. 

Misconception.  You router does not care how a device connects to it.  It supports wired Ethernet, and (dual band) wireless.  2.4 / 5Ghz.  When you connect a device to any of these interfaces, they can all communicate.  This is your "network".  Wireless devices do not need to be on the same wireless broadcast (band) in order to communicate.  Your router takes care of this for you.  Misconception #2.  "My 5Ghz is faster so I want my printer connected to it instead of the 2.4Ghz broadcast".  If the wireless device doesn't have a radio capable of receiving a 5Ghz broadcast (like your printer 2.4Ghz only) it cannot connect to this (transmission) or band, ever.

Speed differentiation.  For video, voice over IP, streaming movies to your TV, etc, 5Ghz does offer enhanced speeds.  It offers higher bandwidth and can provide faster performance, higher resolution and better image quality, etc.  This is at the expense of range.  While your 5Ghz network is faster than 2.4Ghz, it does not broadcast as far.  So it might not be able to reach all corners of the house or into the backyard (example).  2.4Ghz on the other hand is a little slower, but has more range.  So if your router is in your home's office, and you want to sit in the backyard and post to the canon community, 2.4 might be a better option than using the 5Ghz broadcast which may only "reach" to the back door. Leaving your backyard a "dead spot" (poor reception).  Printers are not demanding, they have a limited amount of memory and perform just fine connected to a 2.4Ghz broadcast.  It doesn't matter if you print 1 page or a 35 page powerpoint presentation, the printer's internal memory or buffer is going to fill up (and pause).  This is not because the 2.4 wireless is slower, its a limitation of the device itself. So don't feel pressure to go out a buy a printer that is capable of 5Ghz.  It is not a necessity.

I hope you find this information helpful.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings....  😁

You've already told us the model of your printer "MB2720 printer not staying connected to wifi"

I need the model of your Optimum modem/router combo please.  Then I should be able to provide steps for you.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

canonprint631
Contributor

IMG_3406.png

Model Name: UBC1322

DOCSIS

I called Canon again my issue did not get resolved they are saying I have to contact optimum for a static ip address but agent said they don’t have that option, only for businesses. They said i can also have this printer connected to this modem/router via MAC address instead of ip but I cannot find a way to do it because Optimum said they can’t do it with my modem (gateway 5) router/modem. Once again the problem that I’m having is the router is not routing the printer to my computer correctly, after shutting power off it now loses the communication with the network, but it remains connected to the wifi though. My Mac says the printer is offline but it is not offline it is powered on and connected to same network that Mac computer is connected to. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements