cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot scan from imageClass MF249dw through WiFi

rhorty
Apprentice

I am running macOS Sierra 10.12.1, which is the latest version of the Mac OS.  I use the latest version of the AirPort Extreme router, and it is lightning fast and sends a strong signal throughout my house.  I do not have any antivirus software installed on my laptop or desktop machines.  I purchased an imageClass MF249dw and followed all the configuration instructions to the letter to connect it to the WiFi network because I want to be able to use the printer, copier, and scanner downstairs, without having to trek upstairs where my desktop computer is set up.  I downloaded the drivers from Canon's website, which correctly recognized I am running macOS Sierra.  I am able to print wirelessly, but I cannot scan documents from the machine to a folder on my MacBook or my iMac.  The printer can "see" those machines on the network, so I can select them, but after going through all the steps to scan a document, the printer says "confirm destination," but does not allow me to select the computer to confirm.  After a minute or so, the printer simply says "an error occurred" and allows me to close the window.  

After many exchanges, Canon's email support staff have been unable to help me.  They suggested I move the printer into the same room with the router to see if it is a problem with signal strength.  That made signal strength go from "Normal" to "Good," but not to "Very Good," which appear to be the only three strengths in the Canon lexicon.   It also did not fix the problem.  I still cannot scan from the printer.  That did, however, enable me to scan from the laptop using the MF Scan Utilitiy.  However, it took 5 minutes to scan a 4 page document that resulted in a 4 MB PDF file.  That suggests the machine, which has 256MB of on-board memory, is beaming the scanned data to the laptop after scanning each page, but it is moving the information at a snail's pace.  Given that my phones and other mobile devices get 5 bars no matter where I am in the house, and given that my wireless router can move 4 MB in a few nanoseconds, this is especially troubling because a wireless multifunction printer is meaningless if it has to be located within a few feet of the router to get merely "Good" signal strength, and even then it takes 5 minutes to scan a 4-page document.  That means scanning a 50-page document would take an hour or more!  

I have lost faith in Canon's email support, and I will have to get up at 5:00 a.m. Pacific Time on a weekday to talk to their live support before work (Canon closes at 5:00 p.m. PST M-F, so anyone with a regular job cannot get Canon support.

I'm hoping someone in the community will take pity on me and offer to help resolve this issue.

5 REPLIES 5

superchase
Apprentice

Were you ever able to resolve this issue? I have a MF227 that I cannot get to scan over WiFi in Sierra while El Capitan was completely fine.

James_C

Hi rhorty,

Please delete and add the printer to the queue.

Please open [System Preferences] > [Printers & Scanners].  Next, click the [-] sign under the printer list to delete the printer.  Once the printer has been removed, please follow the instructions below to add the printer back to the window:

1. Click the [+] icon.
If another dialog box does not appear, click [Add Other Printer or Scanner] or [Add Printer or Scanner] after clicking the [+] icon.

2. Register the printer and fax.

2-B. TCP/IP Connection.

2-B-1. Click [IP], and select a print protocol from [Protocol].

If you want to use the machine in an IPv6 environment, select LPD or Socket for [Protocol].

2-B-2. Enter the IP address of the machine to [Address], and select either one of the following options from [Print Using] or [Use]: [Select Printer Software], or [Select Software].

2-B-3. Select a driver that is capable for this machine from the driver list, and click [OK].

2-B-4. Click [Add].

3. Check that this machine is added to the [Print & Fax], [Print & Scan], or [Printers & Scanners] dialog box.

4. Close the dialog box.

Did you download and install "ScanGear V2.5.0 for Mac OS X 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10/10.11" from Canon's website?

Try opening application, select the Canon MF utility folder and choose to open MFtoolbox,an error will appear don't let it discourage you. At the top left hand corner of your screen, next to the apple icon you'll see MFtoolbox, click on it and select network scanner setting from the drop down menu, click on the plus sign and select the MF249dw from the listing, then add. At the top of the screen, to the right of MFtoolbox click scanner and select the MF249dw from the drop down menu. You should be able to scan via the use of rectangle bar that appears with the email, save, pdf, etc.

If the issue continues please contact Canon's support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

gjmalek
Apprentice

I have the same issue and unable to resolve.  It is not related to signal strength.   I have removed and reinstalled printer and scanner drivers through the Cannon Wizard several times.   This wireless scanning issue occurs on three different computers.  I am only able to scan with USB cable at this time.   Even then, I first see an error display pop up indicating that it cannot communicate with scanner and maybe the cord is not plugged in, etc.  

Hello Gjmalek,

If you are trying to scan via a network connection and you get an error code mentioning the cable is not connected, it will usually mean the scan utility is set to the USB connection in the software or the network option for the scanner did not install.

In the MF scan utility, you can check the name for the selected scanner at the top of the window. You can check to see if it is set to the name of the scanner with the word network after it. If not, you can click the drop down to see if you can select the network name for the scanner.

If the scanner option does not appear in the scan utility and you have already installed the recommended drivers for the scanner, I would suggest contacting support at 1-800-652-2666 to see what might be causing the issue with the scanner driver install or what might be blocking the scanner connection over the network.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@gjmalek,

This is a 6 yr old thread.

To ensure you receive proper assistance, please start your own topic.  It should include the model of your Canon product, The OS and build of your operating system.  How the device is connected, as well as any other information, troubleshooting, error messages or observations you would like to add.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements