cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Install Printer via Hostname on MacBook Pro

ajc0509
Contributor

A user recently received a new MacBook Pro, and I'm having difficulty configuring it to print to her Canon Pro-100 wirelessly via the printer's hostname. The laptop is running the Monterey OS, and the printer is connected via ethernet to the school district's network.  When I followed the steps in the video link below, things seemed fine until I get to about 4:39 in the video. The printer name doesn't populate in the printer list under the Default tab, so I switch to the Address tab and enter the hostname found on the printer's configuration page. I then receive a message stating the device cannot be installed because of an error. I can add the printer to her laptop via IP address, but using the IP address isn't recommended since it's not static. Any idea why this issue is occurring?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fu-Rf9uI70 

Config Page Details.jpgPro-100 Hostname Install.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Ajc0509,

If the Mac can't find the printer under default but, it can add using the IP address, it will usually mean that the connection is being blocked by security software or the printer and computer are on different network segment and it can't detect the information being broadcast from the printer.

In this situation, you can try adding via the printer's ip address. If the printer has an address, you can open a web page and enter the address to access the printer's user interface and change the address to static. You should also be able to set the address using your router settings as well. The information you posted above is for other settings, it is showing your WSD information which won't work with a Mac and the bonjour information.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

That "Address" field is looking for an IP address or valid host name.  Try the printer's IP.  Relying on bonjour for resolution isn't what you should consider as reliable.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I mentioned that I was able to add the printer via IP address but not through hostname. Therefore, I’m wondering why I can’t add the printer via hostname. I’m not sure what you mean by the statement “Relying on bonjour for resolution isn't what you should consider as reliable.”

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Ajc0509,

If the Mac can't find the printer under default but, it can add using the IP address, it will usually mean that the connection is being blocked by security software or the printer and computer are on different network segment and it can't detect the information being broadcast from the printer.

In this situation, you can try adding via the printer's ip address. If the printer has an address, you can open a web page and enter the address to access the printer's user interface and change the address to static. You should also be able to set the address using your router settings as well. The information you posted above is for other settings, it is showing your WSD information which won't work with a Mac and the bonjour information.

Shouldn't the printer's hostname be printing on the Network Configuration Page? The info regarding Printer Name was the only thing that came close to a hostname on the configuration page. Network configuration settings were limited when entering the printer's IP address in a web browser. Nevertheless, I have found another way to locate the printer's hostname and install it on the user's device. Thank you.

Thank you, Hector. Why doesn't this printer's hostname show on the network configuration page? Other Canon multifunction printers on my campus show this information on their config page. I also did not see the printer's hostname when I used a browser to access the user interface.

Announcements