cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect PIXMA TR8620a and PC

TXbirder
Contributor

I have been unable to link my PC to my new Pixma TR8620a.  I have been trying for more than a week, following instructions carefully. I have tried both Wi-Fi and USB(new cable and old). 

I previously had a TR8620a connected to this PC and it worked fine until about 3 weeks ago.  I trieda leaset 10 times over the past 2 weeks,  to get them reconnected unsuccessfully.  I decided that the printer had failed and bought a new one.  Now I think it likely that the original one is OK and I wasted money on the new one.

The PC is a less-than-a-year-old HP 27” All-in-one running Win11(latest update) and Google Chrome.

John Lumb

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We'd like to help, but will need more information.  What steps did you perform, what happened?  Error messages, etc.

You can connect the printer using USB or wireless.

If you connect via USB, the printer must be connected directly to an available USB port, not to an adapter.  You should not connect the printer until prompted to do so by the installation software.  Doing so before you are prompted can cause issues.

Wireless set up is similar, except you choose wireless as the preferred connection method and chose the 2.4Ghz broadcast and enter the network password to make the connection.  Note, the printer can only connect to a 2.4Ghz broadcast and WPA-2 security.

If your router is dual or tri-band and uses the same name for both 2.4/5Ghz broadcasts the printer might have problems connecting.  In this case, I'd temporarily disable the 5G broadcast.  Mesh systems might require additional configuration depending on brand or age.  

3rd party anti-virus applications can also cause issues if installed.  If you had an old identical model printer installed, did you remove it before you tried adding the new device?  If not this too might hinder the OS from establishing the connection.  

Software for the printer is available for download here:

Canon Support for PIXMA TR8620a | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I think you fdid not read my post carefully:  have been unable to link my PC to my new Pixma TR8620a.  I have been trying for more than a week, following instructions carefully. I have tried both Wi-Fi and USB(new cable and old)

The messages I must have seen at least 10 times are:

Printer connection.

Then I get:

Installation failure.

Installation failed.

Click [Back to top] and restart the setup.

The PC sees the printer but can't connect

Printer detected. Please wait until printer connection is complete,

This may take some time.

Installation failure

Click [Back to top] and restart the setup.

Round and round.

I will look at the router.  The old printer lost connection weeks before I replaced it with the new printer.

TXbirder

Try to re-install the software from scratch. Head to canon.us/ijsetup and take it from there.

If you're still having issues, you might want to contact phone support so they can walk you through the setup process and troubleshoot what could be going wrong. 

To get through to support, you'll want to make sure your *new* printer is registered at canon.us/account

Once you've done that, you can get through to support at 800-652-2666. They're open Monday through Friday from 9am to 9pm (ET). 

Along the line of Stephen’s post about reinstalling software. I inadvertently made my Pro-100 the default printer (Windows OS). The 8620a did not show in Printers and Devices. 
I downloaded the MP software from the Canon site and executed it. The 8620a showed up and was now the default printer. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Router uses 2.4 and 5.  Can't see a way to disable 5.  Haven't yet found location of security setting.

TXbirder 

If the router is broadcasting both, the printer can only see 2.5G, so you should be fine. Most routers either simulcast both bands or have separate SSIDs (network names) for each. A handful of routers ONLY broadcast 5g, but if yours is doing both, you should be fine. 

Announcements