cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 PGBK Text blurry every three lines

Pallama
Apprentice

I have a 3 year old MX922.  Recently some of the text has been blurry. I did as print nozzle check pattern and the PGBK section comes out blurry in the middle, as though it is printing the grid and a shadow. All other color sections are fine until the Ver 2.020 on the bottom which is blurry again.

I tried

1) Clean

2) Deep Clean

3) Auto Align (did not try manual align)

4) Changed all cartridges

5) soaked / cleaned print head in ammonia,  distilled water and alcohol

6) Cleaned thin transparent plastic strip in the back with q-tip and neutral detergent

Nothing fixes this.

Then I tried printing out an excel spreadsheet with lots of random numbers. I tried changing different rows colors from light blue to dark blue to black.  

Only the pure black rows printed fuxxy.  The dark dark navy black rows print fine.

Can I assume 1) that the two metallic squares are print heads  for a) color (including BK) and b) PGBK and that the PGBK secvtion of the print head having a software head alignment problem which causes it to move out of allignment every 100 or so "dots" or printer increments? Is there anyway to fix this?

11 REPLIES 11

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Pallama,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks, I've read through the forum. Many others  have had my problems and were unable to fix it. Canon support recommends buying a new printhead or sending the printer to Canon for repair.  The cost for doing so is higher than the original cost of the printer.

This is disappointing.... a frequent , and frequently unresolved, problem. Canon's design strategy makes printers susceptible to printhead break down, but expensive to fix.  I would rather buy a printer with a more reliable design at a higher price, which I could still be using in 5 years, 

That won't be a Canon.  I'm through with them.

Unless your under warranty they don't appear to be considered about you and your problems...

Called a couple times... Even though I've purchased 6 printers over the years... 3 still in service... still no response!

Hey Canon if you're interested... I'm at [MOD NOTE: Personal Information Removed Per Forum Guidelines ]

RONEMSER
Apprentice

EXACTLY my problem as well. Having a significant inventory of ink complicates my decision to replace , ESPECIALLY after installing a new PRINTHEAD!

WHERE is CANON on this problem??? (Crickets!!!)

Pallama
Apprentice
I solved this problem.

I bought an HP.

What does your ink supplies run? That's been my biggest concern, working with a volunteer group and printing a lot of fliers!

misterei
Apprentice

Same issues as well, Only really apparent with the black ink that is obviously, consistanly BLURRY about every 3 lines.  Printing the head alignment check, the black grid is blurry in the center area.  Tried self alignment and clean the plastic strip, same result, ( although the first run of the self alignment did make a slight print improvement for the black text).  

Any further steps to try Canon?  

I have not been able to locate a replacement head on Canon web site, (MX922). Not sure why that would cause repetitive blurry  lines though; it would seem the nozzles would work well, or not work well. 

Note for the strip cleaning; Hands too big to reach and see well with just cotton swab, used  a cotton swab, attached to end of chop stick; still need to have the hands of a neurosurgeon to avoid touching the nearby metal bars...don't rush, slowly is the word...

Perhaps I should see if I can print text as Dark Navy as Pallama has had sucess, not sure if can be done with premade forms and text though.

THANKS!

Hi misterei,

If you have ran an alignment and you have cleaned the encoder strip in the printer, it looks like the printer needs service. If one alignment showed a brief improvement in the print quality, you can try another one to see if it looks any better. If the quality fails to improve, the printer needs service.

The printer has a 1 year warranty and you can click the link HERE to create a Canon account to see what service options you have.

Outside of the 1 year warranty, you can contact our sales department at 1-800-652-2666 to use our Upgrade Program. The Upgrade program will give you a discount and free shipping on a replacement printer.

Announcements