cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I fixed my persistent 1311 error (paper jam) by running cardstock through the paper feed

jbrooks
Contributor

When I ran 3x5 index cards through my MX922 printer, it gave me a paper jam (1311) error code.  I took out the paper trays and the back transit cover, and removed one errant card.  Problem solved!  Except it wasn't.

The printer kept giving me a 1311 error code, even after I removed all the jammed paper I could find.     

I finally fixed the error code with these steps:

1) turn off the printer

2) remove the paper trays 

3) manually feed an inch or two of stiff paper into the paperfeed mechanism behind the trays (be careful not to damage anything-- wiggle the cardstock a little to gently feed it in)

4) slide the paper trays back in, being careful to not disturb the cardstock

5) turn on the printer

6) wait for the printer's initiallization process to pick up the cardstock and send it through. 

When my printer turned on, it whirred, picked up the cardstock, sent it through the paper transit pathway, and then deposited it into the output tray.   Two index cards popped out along with the cardstock, so the index cards must have been trapped inside the machine where I couldn't access them.   The printer booted normally-- and the error message disappeared!

Hope this helps someone else with a persistent paper jam error.  It's a very frustrating code to resolve. 

25 REPLIES 25

amur954
Apprentice

Thank you ....It worked!!!!!!

This (feeding a card through the upper paper feed) also worked for a lower paper jam, error message 1312.

Thank you.

dansk66
Apprentice

Thank you, I did it too and worked first time. Many Thanks

Geoff

gramma3x
Apprentice

I know it has been two years since you posted this fix, but THANK YOU SO MUCH! Yes it WORKED! Even Canon techs did not suggest this, and were going to charge me to even look into the problem. You are amazing!!!!!! 😉

bsdsparta
Apprentice

This is a brilliant fix.  It worked perfectly ejecting a hidden piece of paper. The error message disappeared.

bird
Contributor
I feel like a total idiot, but WHERE is the paperfeed mechanism behind the trays; what does it look like? I see two possible, but not particularly good, options, but stock won't feed into either. Help?

Bird,

It took me a lot of trial and error before I made it work the first time. 

1) Turn off machine and remove both paper trays.

2) Put a cardstock sheet into the cavity left by the trays' removal.  I used cardstock because it is stiff enough to push into the feed rollers.  

3) Lightly press the cardstock flat against the ceiling of the cavity, depressing the little roller that hangs down from the ceiling.  Move your hands toward the back of the cardstock. 

4) There's an opening where the top of the cavity wall joins the ceiling; that's where to aim. Walk the cardstock backward with your fingers into that little gap. Poke around a bit until the cardstock slides into the feed mechanism. Slide back more until the feed mechanism (which is mostly invisible inside the machine) is lightly gripping the cardstock.
5) Turn on machine.

6) Wait for startup routine to pick up the cardstock and eject it into the copy tray.  Hopefullly it will show up with friends.  🙂 

This time I didn't even need to replace the trays, and it still worked for me.   I also didn't look at the feed mechanism, I just slid the cardstock back by touch.

Hope this helps!   

-j

JBrooks--

Thank you so much for your note.  With your directions I've been able to feed the stock into the printer.  BUT it isn't taken up, no matter how little or much I feed it.  I can get the lower tray in (I assume it has to go below the stock?), but can't put the upper tray in all the way, because of course it moves and wrinkles the stock.  And again, it doesn't feed when I don't put the trays back in.

I fear I'm sol, but thanks for trying.

B

jbroks

I know this is an older tread, but your infomation on using a stockcard and on a small photopaper was just what I needed. Thanks a million. Mine is the IP7250, I did not have to tilt to neither to the left or right. I just opende the back and applied the stockcard as described, powered up.  And out it came the stockcard including this much smaller photopaper.  The 7250 is a very flat unit, and it can to my surprise hide such a smaller piece of photopaper you can absolutely not se. I even believe this little piece photopaper has been inside for some time. The 1311 error came at a difficult time.  Corona hard lock down, no shops open, and printing were needed for ar funeral service in 2 days time. 

Announcements