cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

haermaelae
Apprentice

Same problem in here. Suddenly my S100 just stopped taking photos properly (yeah 2-4second to take a picture) This is crap because i haven´t use this camera much and now when i need it in my vacation it does that! Canon, save our trust in you and fix this for free because this camera wasn´t cheap at all. I live in Finland and bought it here,

I just think this is the best forum to tell about this problem.

Model PC1675

Serial No : 45xxxxxxxxxx

Powershots100
Apprentice

Finally my problem was solved!! I sent in my Powershot S100 to Canon Germany and they repaired it for free. Now everything works fine again. The repair note states that the circuit board directly below the shutter switch was replaced. FINALLY!!! Don't stop believing folks. 😉

PS: the part that was replaced is called FPC ASS'Y, TOP... maybe that helps you guys.

It is ok that it was repaired for free. The thing is - how long will it last. For about 5 years I was using SX1. The delete button was failing every single year for 4 years. When it failed fifth time i've stopped repairing. For me things like that are pure design error or using cheap elements to save few more cents. I have always trusted all canon products made in japan (s100 is made in japan and sx1 was also), but it seems that canon no longer means quality. Sad...

OK. My S100 came back from repair. On the paper it is written that "FPC ASS'Y, TOP" was repaired. I wonder, how long woill it last...

There are many "FPC" in the camera and that one they repaired has the actual shutter switch mounted to it. FPC stands for Flexible Printed Circuit In this case I bet they just resecured it so that the shutter button activates that dual purpose switch focus and shutter.

Be as gentle as possible with that shutter/focus button as there seems to be a design problem it's not you.

Aarrgghhhh

Ssssooo we fixed the shutter issue right before our 2 months and half trip to Europe from the US, and now we have a lens error issue!!!!!! And we are not back home until mid august... SO FRUSTRATING!!!!
Canon is so very disappointing :(((((((((

Same problem. Camera won't fire, or takes several seconds to fire, after autofocussing. The problem sometimes lessens the longer the camera has been turned on; sometimes it gets worse. My S100 has a 41...... serial number; it was one of the cameras that suffered the lens error problem (and was fixed by Canon). This camera was bought in Hong Kong.

I'd appreciate it if Canon would acknowledge what seems to be another design or manufacturing fault with this particular model, given the consistency of the experience of people with the same shutter problem.

Ian

Id be curious if you tested it with the self timer option if it fired normally ? That would or could narrow it down.

I just tried it with the 2-second and 10-second self-timers. The problem persisted, unfortunately. Sometimes, rarely, fully depressing the shutter would immediately initiate the bleeping timer and the shutter would release. Mostly though, it did nothing, until I had fully depressed the button several times for several seconds.Thanks for the suggestion.

Dani
Apprentice

Just registered to add my voice to this problem. Like others, I spent lots of time and way more money than I have ever spent on a camera to make sure I got a good one that would last me a long while. I've always liked Canon and championed them to others. I think I bought the one year warranty, and sure enough, about 18 months into my camera ownership, after the warranty was dead,  the camera quite suddenly started experiencing a shutter release delay of several seconds. I kept missing all those perfect photos of my babies. Just a short while later, the camera shutter quit working completely. I've tried different modes, different angles and just about anything suggested on all the forums I've read.

Mine is a 41 series, which I have seen is part of a recall for lens error, but I've never experienced that particular error before. I have not yet contacted Canon, mostly because I'm afraid I know what they will say...$160 plus, like all the other commenters have mentioned.

I'm very bummed, as I can't afford a new camera. I hope Canon will step up and take ownership of the problem.

Announcements