cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

Got this info from post by Angeloweb:

"CM1-7226-000, description says FPC ASS'Y TOP.

I went through a couple of transfers to get to Parts the first time I called, but it looks like you can get them direct at 1-866-481-2569, 9am-7pm eastern."

Placed order by phone and credit card. Will post more after I receive and install.

Thats great info thanks ! I've seen parts listed on auction sites but we all know thats kind of chancey. 

Argh
Contributor

Also, having this problem.  Sent the camera in for repair and they want $160.83 for what looks to be a Canon problem.  The person I spoke to in their "manufacturing" dept said there is no problem with the S100 shutter release.  I've already filed a complaint in the petition site (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/canon-powershot-s100-request-to-recall-shutter) and next stop the BBB.  I suppose Canon will send the camera back unrepaired and I will have to fix this myself if I can at all.  Is there a best option or fix for this problem for an "at home repair?"

FWIW:  the Serial number: (Mod Note: Removed serial number per forum guidelines) as far as I can tell since the last few digits of the S/N were hard to read.

Looking at the part replacement option, how much time did the repair take?  Ordering part(s), getting tools and replacing the part?  It's seems almost worth letting Canon replace the part or just ebay it..and NEVER buying Canon products.  What a mess Canon has created for their customers.

$163.00?  Canon is selling refurbished SX50HS cameras right now for $193.00...10 times the camera and features !

In fact they have a big refurb sale going on now, or you can repair it yourself for a fraction of that price.

$163 is what Canon was selling the S100 refurbs for a little while ago.

Hi John_,

>> $163.00? Canon is selling refurbished SX50HS cameras right now for $193.00... <<
It's not just the price, but the time it's taking me to hassle with the camera. I "thought," mistakenly it appears, I was buying a quality camera that would last more that a year and a half or two years.

Hi Argh I hear what your saying and many more in this thread hear you too. It's hard to stay loyal and not loose faith with Canon and the way they are ignoring this thread. Well I doubt they are ignoring it they just are not doing anything to help resolve this fairly. I have an old G5 that I've had for almost 10 years now and it never had a single problem and I still use it. That's what I'd expect of a product made with quality parts. The S100 obviously was made with a defective part or parts since there is also a chronic "lens error" history with them also. As a rule now and with the cost of extended warranties getting cheaper every day I always purchase at least an extra 2-3 years of protection now.

But that's neither here nor there and it's shameful that so many S100's have failed in such a short lifespan.

Ordering the part took 5 minutes on the phone.

Tools: Exacto knife, tiny phillips head screwdriver, a couple of wooden tooth picks for nudging things around without scratching delicate conductors, a clean place to work, 6 cups for different types of screws, a flashlight, magnifying glass...

Time for repair: Took me 2 or 3 hours. If I had made better diagrams and notes during disassembly, re-assembly would have gone faster. Especially location of each size screw. Read all posts on the topic of the last month or so for guidance.

Skills: Ability to handle delicate parts without damaging them. You could tear or scratch the delicate flexible printed circuits.

These cameras are on Ebay for around $150. in used "good" condition. You could buy one of those and sell yours for $40 as is.

How can Canon reconcile "no shutter problem" with 30+ plus pages of users with the exact same problem with this model and no other model has this problem? This forum is on their website!

So, Danluckett, were you successful? 

You're right, it's obviously a huge flaw in this camera which is a shame. It's a very capable little pocket machine, ideal for outings and where cameras are verbotten.

I was. See earlier post.

Thanks Danluckett.

I've filed my complaints (BBB and iPetition).

>> "How can Canon reconcile "no shutter problem" with 30+ plus pages of users with the exact same problem with this model and no other model has this problem?" <<
Great question. When I mentioned this fact that I'm not the only customer with this problem, she just let me talk as she is probably supposed to do and answer that she's never heard of this problem. (I guess we, in this forum, do not have a "preponderance of the evidence.")

Thanks for the help and suggestion in fixing "our" collective problem. We'll see what Canon says about repairing the camera. Not holding breath.
Announcements