cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

files and folders numbers on the display screen of Powershot sx510hs

mmbx4
Contributor

Trying to figure out why camera is getting weirded out when I scroll thru what I've taken pics of. I get the floating time or it keeps trying to favorite my photos, or won't let me delete -  among other things. I put a new memory card in and after a while it was working okay. Now it's back to aciting up again. 

When I put new memory card in the numbers in the upper right hand corner of display screen stayed the same. Actually the top #'s did which after digging through online crappy manual it said those where the file #'s. The smaller #'s underneath are the actual photos #'s i've taken on the new memory card. 

Why does the  top row of larger #'s stay on the screen? Is that affecting the memory in my camera or being able to use it with a new memory card? I thought when I took the old one out that those pics don't stay in camera and it would start over. 

New to all this. Am I missing something. 

I'm hoping it's something simple to fix so I don't have to repair camera or get a new one AGAIN!

10 REPLIES 10

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@mmbx4 wrote:

Trying to figure out why camera is getting weirded out when I scroll thru what I've taken pics of. I get the floating time or it keeps trying to favorite my photos, or won't let me delete -  among other things. I put a new memory card in and after a while it was working okay. Now it's back to aciting up again. 

When I put new memory card in the numbers in the upper right hand corner of display screen stayed the same. Actually the top #'s did which after digging through online crappy manual it said those where the file #'s. The smaller #'s underneath are the actual photos #'s i've taken on the new memory card. 

Why does the  top row of larger #'s stay on the screen? Is that affecting the memory in my camera or being able to use it with a new memory card? I thought when I took the old one out that those pics don't stay in camera and it would start over. 

New to all this. Am I missing something. 

I'm hoping it's something simple to fix so I don't have to repair camera or get a new one AGAIN!

Your best bet is to go back and read the full 'crappy manual'. You will get a lot more out of your camera by doing so, and it will answer questions like this.

That is not even a helpful response. Reading the full crappy manual doesn't tell WHY the number is so large when a new memory card is put in that only has 300 photos. The other numbers are in the 7,000's. 

Why did you even post that response when I said I've already looked at the manual. 

Still looking for some helpful resposes. 

@mmbx4 wrote:

That is not even a helpful response. Reading the full crappy manual doesn't tell WHY the number is so large when a new memory card is put in that only has 300 photos. The other numbers are in the 7,000's. 

Why did you even post that response when I said I've already looked at the manual. 

Still looking for some helpful resposes. 

I'm saying you should really read the manual cover to cover, it will greatly improve your enjoyment and usefulness of your camera.

The card you are using or someone had inserted a card that had high file numbers on it from another camera, your new camera picked up on those numbers and started numbering from there. 

Again, I encorage you to read the full manual to get the full capabilities of your camera. 

sx510hs file number.JPG

Page 122 of the 'crappy manual' 

I will add that at this point if you want to start at 0001 you need to use a newly formatted card and use the Auto Reset option, as described right above this in the manual.

Okay now that is a little more informative and less condensending. Remember people on this forum for a reason and get clarification not "read the manual" tone. 

I am new to using and saving memory cards so when my other card was full (new camera/new card) I bought a new card and put it in. 

The formating thing sounds greek to me. Nothing was on the new card so I figured the larger numbers at the top wouldn't be there.  I didn't realize I had to go in to the camera and change something. Or if that is what is even making my camera playbacks  / buttons act up. Formatting card, formatting camera stuff!!!!!

thanks, 

Remember tone goes a long way even in emails and you're answering questions from people that aren't as camera saavy as you. 

mmbx4,

I'm not sure I can answer your question thoroughly, but those large numbers have to do with the internal numbering system of the camera operating system. Each month the first set of three numbers will change, or once it reaches 9999 photos. It corresponds to the files on the memory card, so that the camera can find the files quicker. If you take the memory card out of the camera and put it in a card reader, you will see several folders, one of which is DCIM. Under that folder are other folders, and the first three numbers correspond to the first three numbers in the upper right. The following four numbers refer to the image number the camera generates when writing the photo to the card. The smaller numbers refer to the number of images that are actually on the memory card so that you can keep track of the number of images left that will fit on the card at the resolution you have the camera set for.

Once you do a low level format on the memory card, and not just erasing the images, the numbering system should reset to 001-0001. However, if you do the default format, the numbering will not be reset and will continue from where the old numbering left off. Usually you would only use the default format, but if you were to sell the camera with the memory card, you would use the low level format so that the new owner would not be able to recover any photos that are still on the card. So if you do a low level format to reset the numbering on the card, you would not be able to recover any accidentally erased images. I would only do a low level format to reset on a brand new memory card when you first go to use it, and use the default format for a memory card that you've been using.

I hope this helps to clear up a few things.

Steve M.

Hi, 

Thank you Thank you for explaining how it works. I didn't realize the camera has an internal numbering system that you have to change w/each memory card. Even the term Formatting was confusing (never really used memory cards to the max before)

I have an 8-16gb card in right now with 300 photos. I did that as a test to see if it was because my other card was too full.

I will get a new card and try to do the Low Level formatting. I don't want to erase what is on my cards as they are an additional backup of my photos.

Question: So if you do a DEFAULT format  ..and you put a card in...it's not putting any of those photos on the NEW card...it just is counting pictures as if they are in there. They won't show up on the card...just all the numbers. Correct? 

Okay. I will try the Low Level format when I put my new card in. 

I may come back and ask another question sometime. Thank you. 

Just to be sure you understand, Formatting will erase anything that is on the memory card, low level or default. The low level will make it impossible to retrieve any pictures with optional extra software, whereas the default format will still leave enough information on the card to retrieve accidentally erased photos with retrieving software, as long as no other photos were taken using the same card.. 

When you do a default format, the numbering will pick up from where the card left off. It won't reset the internal numbering in the camera as the low level format will. No photos or numbers get transferred during this process, just the numbering will pick up from where it was on the last image. Some people use this continuous numbering to keep track of how many photos they've taken overall with the camera. For instance, I know that my SX150 IS has been used to take over 14,000 images, Since there is no shutter to keep track of the total image count, by not resetting the image count with the low level format, I know how much wear and tear is on my camera. There are some other ways to get that information, but that one works quite well. While most of this is in the owner's manual, it's not always clear what the difference is wihtout actually trying it. What formatting is really all about is making sure the memory card is "healthy", and it maps out any sectors on the card that may have gotten corrupted. This prevents photos from not recording correctly if the card has gotten exposed to high amonts of satic charge for instance.

Steve M.

Okay, thanks for the clarifications. I am sure once I start with my new memory card - formatting and all i will start to get the hang of this. 

I have over 8000 pics on my sx510hs and it is nice to know how many pics have been taken by that camera.  I just didn't understand the numbering and how to fix it, formatting etc. 

My playback buttons were not functioning well and I couldn't erace photos every easily, or it would always try to mark as favorite, or would fash the main screen (floating time/date). I figured my card was overloaded when I saw the large #'s of photos.

I will try a brand new card & format it. Go from there and see if that is the issue. OR I'm wearing down the buttons on the back. It's only 2 years old. 

Thanks for the info. Will try and if I have questions....back to the forum! 

Michelle

Announcements