cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting camera to U-Verse PC via wi-fi

Paul17
Contributor

I cannot connect my Power Shot SX620 camera to my U-Verse networked PC and Canon customer support has not been able to help me.  Has anyone had success with this ?

20 REPLIES 20

I found the MAC address of the camera. Now to try that out !

Well, I found the MAC address of the camera and figured out how to set it to be allowed by the U-Verse gateway - but I still get "Connection Failed".  Thanks, anyway for the suggestion,  I am definitely interested in / wanting other ideas.

@Paul17 wrote:

Well, I found the MAC address of the camera and figured out how to set it to be allowed by the U-Verse gateway - but I still get "Connection Failed".  Thanks, anyway for the suggestion,  I am definitely interested in / wanting other ideas.

from the product description of teh SX620 HS...

"Built-In Wi-Fi with NFCBuilt-in Wi-Fi with NFC allows you to wirelessly share your photos and movies with a linked smartphone or tablet as well as remotely control the camera from the mobile device by using the Camera Connect app. A dedicated Wi-Fi button is also featured on the camera body to expedite the process of connecting with a smartphone or tablet and sharing imagery between devices."

Your camera does not seem to be "networkable."  It seems to be desigend to directly connect to smart phones and tables, not PCs via a LAN.  THE NFC technology operates in a similar fashion.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/ 

I suggest that you use the above link to download the manual, so that you can better understand how your camera works.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle - The manual has a whole section devoted to sending images to a computer via wi-fi.  I have had a number of calls to Canon customer support about this problem (different person each time) and in each case they understood I was attempting to connect to a computer and, in fact, asked questions such as "How far are you from your wireless router?", "What operating system is on your PC?", "Can you wirelessly connect a laptop to your wi-fi network ?".

Sorry, I am still convinced that you do not understand how it works.  They ask you those questions because they have to.  If you understood how it worked, then you would understand why they ask.

Most people do not know how to ask technical questions because they do not understand the technology, which is not their fault.  People fail to realize that the person on the other end of the phone cannot see your computer screen, camera, or smart device screen.

At what step does the connection process fail?  Are you attempting to "WPS"?  Does your "gateway" allow for "WPS"?  Most people connect to an access pont, which usually is a router.  There is no such hardware device as a "gateway.".  A "gateway" is a virtual device, one that exists only in software.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle -

Sorry I have not responded earlier.  I've been away from my computer.

The camera description on Canon's website says that the SX620 HS has both Wi-Fi and NFC and says "In addition to wirelessly transferring photos and videos through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY† to your computer ..." (underline mine).  If you do a search on the Canon website for "Wi-Fi camera", three products are displayed - two EOS cameras and my SX 620 HS.  In addition, when I go through the Wi-Fi connect procedure, the icon I select on the camera's screen is of a PC and the text says "Connect to computer".  When I select the computer, I see my network SSID and "WPS Connection".  

This U-Verse network uses a Pace/2Wire wireless router and yes it does have WPS.  I have tried connecting by selecting my SSID and I have also tried the WPS method by depressing the WPS button on the router.  In either case, the result is "Connection failed".

Maybe try ATT support assistance?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75 - I tried ATT U-Verse assistance.  They talked me through a few steps and then told me I would have to subscribe to their premium assistance (i.e. pay for it).  I have also posted my problem on the ATT support group website but haven't had any responses there yet.

Looks like you've exhausted all avenues. Do you have access to a computer on a different network to try?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75 - Yes, I have tried it on three other networks.  All are "connection failed".

Announcements