cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my shutter button release delayed when I am on P mode for Powershot SX60 HS? How to fix it?

Sybergoonies
Contributor

Hi, I am new to Powershot SX60 HS. When I try to shoot recently on P mode, the shutter release button is delayed before releasing and this cause my photos to be blurred. I had no such problem previously when I bought the camera a few months back. Can anyone suggest a fix to hasten the shutter release so it will be press and capture instead of press and delay and then capture. Thanks.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sybergoonies,

Since this only happens in low light, it is probably just a slow shutter speed being used.  The longer shutter is necessary to properly expose the image in the lower lighting conditions.  You may want to increase the ISO speed to compensate.  Press the FUNC/SET button, select ISO, then turn the dial to choose an ISO speed.  For lower lighting conditions, you will likely need to use at least ISO 800/1000 or higher.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

ScottyP
Authority
It it is really a pause before shooting, the pause is probably the camera having a hard time focusing.

This probably won't happen in broad daylight outside. It usually happens in dimmer light, which need not be all that dim. Just being inside is often dim enough.

It can also happen if you are shooting a blank featureless subject like a smooth wall or a cloudless sky or something.

I don't think it is a pause before shooting that is causing your main complaint, though. I think it is the camera making a slow shutter speed DURING a picture.

A pause before the shutter firing can't blur a photo, BUT it is possible your camera is giving you a long shutter opening exposure time. If you are handholding a shot with a slow shutter you will see camera shake blur. If you are shooting a moving subject, even just one that is sitting there alive and breathing, you can get subject motion blur if your shutter speed is not fast enough

I had a powershot super zoom years ago before I learned about exposure. It shot blurry shots indoors all the time. The problem was the camera picking too slow a shutter, because the lens on the camera is not able to achieve a very big opening (big aperture) to let light in, so the camera compensates with a too-slow shutter trying to get enough light into the camera for a proper exposure. It produces blurry shots though.

You can't trust auto modes. Put the camera in TV mode and then set a fast (short) enough shutter duration to deal with the scene you are shooting. You may need flash to increase the light, or you may just look for brighter places to shoot.

Google for free short tutorial videos on "the exposure triangle" and watch 2 or 3 of them and that will make all this clearer.

Good luck!
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Another cause may be that it's set to 2 second timer mode.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you, cicopo. I did set it to 2 sec timer prior but had turned that off and it still had the 'pause' .

Sybergoonies,

Press the shutter button down halfway until the subject is in focus and the box is green, then press it down the rest of the way to take the photo.  How's the delay then?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have had a frustrating time with this camera.  I push the shutter release button down half way as usual.  It is rather sensitive and I guess I push it too hard because there is a lengthy delay and than it takes the shot.  The subject is blurry and I am missing some great pictures.  Is there anything out there that provides suggestions on settings?  Most of my photos are taken outdoors in the early morning or early evening just before sunset.  I am not getting good photos in aperture, shot priority nor in auto.  Any help would be appreciated. 

celticfiddle,

Set the camera to Playback and select an image you took that is blurry and had a delayed capture.  Then, press the DOWN button to cycle to the detailed shooting information display.

1. What is shown for the shutter speed?
  2. What is shown for the drive mode?

SX60 HS.png

Hi Mike, Did that and the shutter still delay... I noticed if there is enough light the delay doesn't happen at whatever setting but whenever it is dark the delay kicks in at whatever setting.

Sybergoonies,

Since this only happens in low light, it is probably just a slow shutter speed being used.  The longer shutter is necessary to properly expose the image in the lower lighting conditions.  You may want to increase the ISO speed to compensate.  Press the FUNC/SET button, select ISO, then turn the dial to choose an ISO speed.  For lower lighting conditions, you will likely need to use at least ISO 800/1000 or higher.

how do I accept as solution....don't see that as an option
Announcements