cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to connect SX540HS to Windows 10 PC with WIFI connection.

nipsnertz
Contributor

I have spent 4+ hours trying to setup my new SX540HS WIFI connection to my Windows 10 PC.  I followed all of the instructions in the User's guide, watched the Youtube instruction video, installed-reinstalled,rebooted , disabled anti-virus and firewalls  and really tried everything.   I am able to connect the camera to my WIFI network but I can’t install the driver in the Windows Device Manager.    I get to point where the Camera screen shows "Connecting"  and I can select the Camera in the Windows Device Manager but it never successfully connects... it just times out.   PLEASE HELP   I have seen posts online that other users are having the same problem.    

13 REPLIES 13

nipsnertz
Contributor

I am trying to connect my Canon PowerShot  SX540 to my Windows 10 computer.

1. On my camera, I choose "Wireless settings" and the "Reset Settings" to get a fresh start.
  2. Per the user manual, I push the wifi button on the camera, accept the camera name, select "Connect to computer," choose Add a Device, choose WPS Connection (FWIW I do see my wifi network name as an option on this screen), I have tried to install using both the  PBC Method and the PIN Method. 
  3. With PBC Method: I push and hold the WPS button on the router and proceed. With the PIN method I enter the Camera PIN. 
  4. I choose Next on the camera.
  5. The camera shows Completing WPS, lists my network name as the Access Point, displays Select a Device, and shows the name of my PC computer. I select it.
  6. The camera displays "Connecting" and shows my computer's name as the "Connected device." The little "busy" icon on the camera beings spinning.
  7. I go to control panel on my Windows 10 computer, choose "Add a device." I select "Canon Digital Camera" and choose Next.
  8. A dialog in Windows asks, “Enter the WPS PIN for your camera" and "You can find the WPS PIN on your Canon Digital Camera or in the info that came with it".  I enter the Canon pin and then the computer times out and never connects.   
    I am really stuck. Please help

nipsnertz
Contributor

I found another post in this forum with the exact same problem. but he was connecting a different camera

I gave up.  If Cannon really cared they would step in and actually walk through with someone with the issue.

Welcome to the Canon Forums!

The Forums aren't intended for immediate assistance. If your question is urgent, click HERE to log into your My Canon Account and discover your personalized support options. Please be aware that PowerShot support is available on weekdays from 9am to 9 pm (ET), excluding holidays. 

If you're outside the USA, please click HERE to find your support options. 

Hi Stephen,  Thanks for your reply.   I clicked on the link that you provided and I never saw any email or telephone support options??   The support web pages really just put you into a circular loop with the only options being the knowledge base and the cummunity forum and I have tried both but was unable to fix my problem.   I posted this issue with the forum because I was out of options and becuase I saw some other posts in the Canon Community Forum with the exact same issue but no solution?  Over the weekend, I tried to connect my SX540 to 2 different Windows 10 computers in my house and neither would connect.   This does not seem to be a network issue because I can connect the camera to my WIFI network and the camera is discovered in the Windows Control Panel "add device"  window.   However, the camera driver will not load and the camera will not connect.    I  spent several hours trying everything.  Please Help. 

Wi-Fi is very slow. I suggest that you use USB. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

This camera was advertised as having WI-FI connection features and was one of the reasons that I purchased it.  I just want it to work as advertised.  

Greetings, nipsnertz

I would recommend running the wireless setup program within the Canon folder in Windows 10. Then, I would recommend clearing the wireless settings on the PowerShot SX540 HS and to establish a new connection with your computer. We would need to also perform the "Add a device" option in Windows to finalize the pairing process.

To access the "Add a device" option, left click on the Windows logo on the corner of your computer screen. Then begin to type on your keyboard "Control". Windows will begin to automatically search for items or apps with the word "Control" and the Control Panel should be listed. Left click on the Control Panel option to open it. In the window that opens, we should see an option labeled "Hardware and Sound". Underneath in smaller letters, select "Add a device".

While the camera is attempting to connect to your computer through Wi-Fi, it should appear in this smaller window that appears on your computer where Windows 10 is searching for devices that are trying to connect to it. When the PowerShot SX540 HS is listed, select it and click on "Next" to add it to your computer. This should finalize the pairing process.

In case you're still unable to make the connection or having issues then please contact our phone support team. They can be reached at 1-800-652-2666 and are available Monday - Friday from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm EST.

Hi Natalya,  Thanks for posting your reply.   I have followed all of your instructions and I get to the final step where I select my Camera from the Windows Control Panel  "add a device"  screen.  The Cannon Camera shows in the list of devices but after I select it, nothing happens. My computer just times out.      I have tried this on 2 different Windows 10 computers in my house with the same result.  I have also tried turning off all antivirus and firewalls. but it did not help.   

What I do see is that the camera does seem to join the WIFI network (I can see that in my WIFI network administative app).  And the camera does seem to be able to see my Windows PC because the camera shows the correct computer name when I select it.  However, for some reason, it just won't load the device driver in the "add a device"  step.     I found other posts in this forum for users that had this exact same problem but with other Canon cameras.   Any help you can provide would be appreciated.    

Announcements