cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX260HS sometimes has very dark screen, picture dark if taken, why unreliable? what do I do?

lyn
Apprentice

My PowerShot SX260HS recently started having a very dark screen and if a picture is taken when this happens, the picture is very dark.  It has been sporadic for the past two days of use and doesn't seem to be tied to turning it on and off or changing settings.  I'm leaving for a trip of a lifetime in 11 days and must have a reliable camera!  Please help asap!  Thank you!

45 REPLIES 45

sherrymyers
Contributor

Mine is doing the same thing! I noticed the last few times using the camera quality wasn't as good and seemed to have trouble with the shutter button!

Just to add another user to this discussion with the same problem. I am pretty sure that the problem with my black SX260 is the shutter button because I can fiddle with it and get the rear screen to go from dark to light. Also clicking it on and off and switching thru the shooting modes will sometimes get the dark screen to get bright. It is definatly a short somewhere.

I too really like this little camera and when it works well, it takes nice photos but I can't rely on it so I simply use it as a back up camera. Mine is also out of warranty and I definately would not send it back to Canon.

tdotmcgdot
Contributor

I am having the same issue as many of you have described. I have had my camera for about a year and a half. I researched and shopped around prior to purchasing this camera as I have an around the world trip starting at the end of September and really wanted a good quality camera. That is what I thought I was purchasing. 

After completing a repair request, I was given an estimate of $150 (this is before they have even looked at the camera). That seems quite ridiculous to me especially considering there are a number of people on this Canon Forum that are experiencing the same issue. Looks like a product defect since I have treated this camera very delicately.

I am ticked off.

I am super annoyed that I recommended Canon to my brother as a good quality camera. I feel like a liar now. 

It's too bad that Canon does not stand by their product.

I am going to Consumer Reports with this issue.

Thanks

Theresa

endlessnameless
Apprentice

Same problem here - goes dark and grainy you can faintly see a picture until you tap the side and the screen comes back. Seems like a loose connection. I think there is an inherent fault in this camera as if you google the issue you get a lot of people with the same problem.

I think Canon need to honour warranty claims regardless of how long people have had the camera as the issue is clearly an inherent problem. I have had cameras for almost ten years with no problems and this one goes funny after about a year. It is an expensive camera and really not fair.

Seems as though they could care less, What a useless camera and spent quite abit on it for it to sit in a drawer, Very upset about this!! I called Canon and basically said sorry over the warrenty

bubbebaby2
Apprentice

Problem just started with my fairly new (but still out of warranty) sx260hs on a once-in-a-lifetime trip, really! I have read all the comments, and have already tried all suggested fixes. Sometimes it works for a shot or 2, and sometimes after I have just turned it on. Sometimes I just shooot blind and get pretty good pics (not dark like some said) -- but the reiew screen is also dark, but shots are ok dowloaded. Lousy composition though.

I don't even know what to buy instaed of a canon for my purposes, My family and I have been using only canon for many years, and I NEVER buy extended warrantees, ON ANYTHING. Canon folks, it is unconscionable that so many of this model cameras are losing it so soon after manufacture. IF it can be repaired, and IF it is a chip problem, how about a fix for the cost of shipping + like $50.  

Announcements