cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S100 strange pixelation problem, possibly bad sensor?

mrseven
Apprentice

First time poster, I'm hoping someone here can give me some guidance. My Dad has an S100 that he's had for years that I'm trying to help him out with.

About a year ago it developed the notorious "lens error". I cracked it open myself to find one of the sensor ribbon cables damaged, so replaced it with an entire new lens off ebay. It worked pretty darn well up until recently. He said he was messing with the settings and all of a sudden this strange red/greed pixelation appeared all over pictures.

IMG_3243.JPG

I had him send it to me since we're in different states, and attached is what I found. On the LCD screen all appears fine, but the second you hold the shutter button, all the red lines appear. They also appear while taking video. After a few pictures and turning the camera off and on a few times, all of a sudden they disappeared. It now works perfectly. I've tried changing various settings and lightly tapping the camera body at different angles to try and recreate the problem to no avail.

Is this possibly a sign that the replacement lens/sensor is on its way out? I'd hate to send the camera back to him only to do this all over again. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 REPLY 1

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Mrseven,

Thank you for posting.

If images from the camera appear the same, the sensor may have malfunctioned. If the images produced are clear, even when the display looks like it does in your images, the fault is likely in one of the components of the display.

Because the service life for this camera has expired, Canon no longer offers the parts or service required to resolve this issue. I regret the difficulty this causes.

You may wish to participate in the Canon Upgrade Program. This program allows you to replace your current camera with a new Canon camera for a discounted fee, and have it shipped via Ground delivery. Refurbished cameras may also be available. The replacement camera offered through this program includes a one-year limited warranty. The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided.

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8:00 AM to Midnight, Eastern time. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered. Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements