cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing the date/time battery in a G9X

marcaserlind
Apprentice

What kind of battery do I need to replace the date/time battery in a G9X?  (NOT the main battery pack, NOT Mark II)

Can I replace it myself? Where can I find instructions?

The manual and various Canon sites don't show any of this information. 

A camera store said I need a CR1220 which costs about $2 but they don't install.  A repair shop wouldn't tell me the kind of battery but said it's $45 (plus of course almost $100 to install. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The G9X does not have a user replaceable date/time battery. It has a built-in rechargeable battery that is automatically recharged in about 4 hours by the main battery. If it is not recharging, it will need to be serviced by Canon. 

This is from page 21 of the G9X user manual.

4647F017-B354-4A3E-A8B7-D40142D545B7.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

Not exactly the news I wanted but thanks so much for your reply.  The manual was a little vague about the date/time battery being irreplaceable except by Canon. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I don't think it may be a user-replaceable part.

I know others here have pointed out uscamera"dot"com as a source of parts lists.  When I search that site for a "Canon G9X", they do have a parts list, but the list itself would cost $7.99.

I wonder if you could split the difference in purchasing the required part (hopefully it would not be $45) and find a repair shop to replace it.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The G9X does not have a user replaceable date/time battery. It has a built-in rechargeable battery that is automatically recharged in about 4 hours by the main battery. If it is not recharging, it will need to be serviced by Canon. 

This is from page 21 of the G9X user manual.

4647F017-B354-4A3E-A8B7-D40142D545B7.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Not exactly the news I wanted but thanks so much for your reply.  The manual was a little vague about the date/time battery being irreplaceable except by Canon. 

Announcements