cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX500 IS - how to shoot focused motion pics?

lisalishus
Apprentice

Im always trying to shoot my granddaughter playing soccer and with even a little movement, I get nothing but blurred pics.  Im trying to figure this camera out and Im still lost.  Please help, thank you! 🙂
As a matter of fact, I can only get cleat shots when the subjest is not moving at all.  😞

7 REPLIES 7

cicopo
Elite

Shooting action requires fast shutter speeds and some panning skills. You need good light, a shutter speed that's likely 1/500 or faster & may need to adjust the ISO higher to allow the faster shutter speed. To set the camera correctly it must first allow Tv mode but you'll also want to check the manual so you can set the AF system to track a moving target. Read up on AI Servo & how to set it & activate it (which usually just involves holding the shutter button half way down).

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you cicopo.  I appreciate your response!  I looked thru the pdf of the manual today and didnt see much on action shots.  I'll go back and try to re-read it..  I was hoping there was just a setting to click to that did it for me, lol.  Im not so good at settings and such.
Thanks again and have a great day!~

It doesn't look like that camera has a sports mode but that doesn't really matter since it would actually be a compromise between all form of sports. In the real world there are differences in what is considered acceptable sports photos for each style of sport. Sports with people running or jumping etc are normally shot to fully freeze everything in the frame (a fast shutter speed) while things like motorsports try to freeze the car or motorcycle etc but use a slow enough shutter speed to blur the wheels & background to imply speed. By learning how to use Tv mode (time value or shutter speed) you have far more control over your results & it's pretty simple to learn what works best for your own personal needs. A fast shutter speed freezes action & it also helps eliminate the effects of camera shake.

If you want a bit more detail on setting up a camera for action most of this article can be applied to what you want to achieve as long as you realize P & S cameras have some shutter lag which limits just how fast you can nail what you just saw in the viewfinder, AND it is best to learn to shoot action through a viewfinder rather than at arms length looking at the LCD.

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=147971

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you SO much!  You have truly given me a lot to go on.  Im gonna play with that tomorrow at her soccer game.  Again, I really appreciate your help.  Here is an example of just about every shot I get from this camera, lol.  🙂
IMG_4267.JPG

The focus worked perfectly but it clearly shows the result of TOO slow of a shutter speed. Just experiment with different shutter speeds until you find a range that freeze their movement. In daylight you shouldn't need too high an ISO but raise it as necessary to stay at around 1/500 to 1/1000 until you figure out what settings get it done. 

Thanks again for taking the time to help me!  If you only knew how much your help means to me. 🙂 Im gonna try it out today.  I hope you have a wonderful weekend and Happy St Patty's Day!  🙂

I forgot to mention that it didn't look like you had any camera shake in your sample. Here's an example of what a high shutter speed can do when shooting action. this was shot while on vacation when I was just killing time around the pool, but with a camera designed specifically for shooting action. 1/2000 second exposure.

INGR9024.JPG

INGR9024-001.JPG

Announcements