cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SD900 Memory card error

clarityed
Apprentice

Hi I have a Canon Powershot SD900 Titanium 10 MP Digital Elph Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (OLD Model) and I put in a 256 gb sandisk ultra 150 mb/s sd card and it says memory card error. Can anyone help with what I should do

2 REPLIES 2

chris1058
Apprentice

Hello, @clarityed 

The Canon Powershot SD900 is an older camera model and may not support high-capacity SD cards like your 256 GB card. Here are a few steps to try:

Use a Smaller Capacity Card: Try using an SD card with a smaller capacity, such as 2 GB, 4 GB, or 8 GB. The SD900 may only support up to 2 GB (standard SD) or 32 GB (SDHC) cards.

Format the Card: Format the SD card using the camera's format option (if it is recognized) or format it using a computer with the FAT32 file system. Official Website

Check Compatibility: Refer to the camera's manual to check the maximum supported SD card capacity.

If these steps don't work, using a smaller capacity card is likely the best solution.

I hope this will be helpful for you

Best regards

chris wright

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Further to Chris' post,  you should get a FULL-SIZE (NOT micro-SD with adapter) card of no more than 32GB.
Refer to the user manual: EC189-CUGBook(Basic-Advanced).book (c-wss.com) where on P3 it says: the camera takes SD and SDHC cards, the latter of which are an improved version of the standard SD card with a storage capacity up to 32 GB.  Other cards will not be recognized.
Micro-SD cards with adapters will not work well either, so you should get Full-Size cards and I recommend cards like Lexar, Sandisk.   Avoid cheap deals on the web and get them from a reputable source - there are lots of counterfeits out there.
I hope this helps.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements