cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX530 HS Unable to Connect to PC or Phone

jordan_wilson__
Apprentice

Hi, I have a PowerShot SX530 HS camera. I absolutely cannot connect it to my phone or my Windows computer. I’ve been trying for hours. I keep getting a notification on the camera that I need to set the time & date when I try to connect to wifi. The date and time are already set. I’ve tried restarting the wifi settings. Nothing is working and I’m not sure what to do. I’ve also connect the HDMI cord to my computer and it’s not detecting the device. I can’t connect this camera at all or get the authentication code. Please help!!

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Using a memory card reader is always an option.

What type of computer and OS are you trying to use with the camera?

From where did you download the computer software?  The Canon USA web site has added video tutorials on how to connect Wi-Fi on many of the Product Support pages for the camera bodies.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I must admit I see a litany of issues on this kind of thing - where people struggle for long period and get (justifiably) frustrated that they cannot get WiFi or Bluetooth to connect to a computer. I am not sure if you want to connect in order to tether or to transfer your files.

If it is the latter, in the end, often the simplest is the best and I agree with my colleague above that removing the card from your camera, plugging it into a card reader attached to your computer may be more primitive, but it is essentially as simple, and much likely to work.  Furthermore, the transfer does not drain the camera battery and the download speed should be faster with a direct physical connection.

If you really need to connect, one thing you might want to check is that the time zones on the two devices are set up to the same location.  A mis-match in that would possibly cause a conflict.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

So you feel transcribing the pictures with crayons would be best if this doesn't work...?  Features should work.  This reminds me of my comments to an airline after an unusually frustrating experience:  "As long as I own a bicycle, I will not need <unnamed airline> ever again." 

Given your post ended as follows: "I can’t connect this camera at all or get the authentication code. Please help!!"

I am trying to help you by offering you a solution, what you choose to do with it is up to you.  I realize this is frustrating, but we are not employees of Canon.  I am an experienced volunteer trying to assist you to get A solution, so please direct your sarcasm elsewhere.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks so much for the obvious workaround.  I have 40 years experience in software development and I'm trained to find solutions.  I think the answer at this point is that Windows 11 isn't supported for this device.  Nikon was kind enough to publicize the fact.  

Given the PM I just received I am going to go back over my responses to you.
In a previous post I specifically acknowledged the validity of your frustration and that your issue was not specific to you: "I must admit I see a litany of issues on this kind of thing - where people struggle for long period and get (justifiably) frustrated that they cannot get WiFi or Bluetooth to connect to a computer."   This not only acknowledged you were not alone, but that you were justifiably frustrated with the feature.
By asking what you were trying to achieve, something your PM seems to take as a slight, I was trying to find out what that was specifically so I could alleviate your frustration and lack of progress by offering an alternative solution.
I did NOT tell you to RTFM, nor was I judgmental over your challenge, but I will not tolerate sarcasm and inventing words attributed to me.  I did not "feel transcribing the pictures with crayons would be best if this doesn't work...?" as you wrote.  That is neither constructive nor accurate and says more about you than me.

We are here to help you and will go to significant lengths to do so, if we get cooperation to solve your issues.  None of us deserve abuse or sarcasm directed as us personally.   I have already agreed your issue is frustrating but please don't take that frustration out on those supporting you as best we can.

cheers, TREVOR

I am very sorry I got so angry, and online to boot!  However, I did find out that the cameras will still connect via USB to Windows 11 PC's.  I consider this much more elegant than removing the card.  

No problem.  Stress can get the better of us at times.  FWIW, I used to be a IT service support coach and MS engineer/trainer, so I am used to dealing with folks who are not having a great day.
I think both systems are valuable, TBO, and I don't have an issue with the cable.  I personally find the process of removing the card and putting it in my computer faster and the download speeds certainly are because I can use faster interfaces.   Particularly that is true with large files like those of my 5Dsr (52MP) and R5 (45MP) RAW files.  I also like that I am not draining my battery to do the download.

Yes, there have been a lot of issues with folks being challenged with wireless connectivity to cameras - not just for Canon, I might add, but particularly with Mac machines.   I generally stay out of those issues as they are usually not easily resolved and that does not make for happy campers!

cheers, TREVOR

I've had success using the USB cable.  Less invasive than pulling the card.  It also enables the canon software.  I've been using the Canon software for years to load my photos in chronological files.  

click here to view the gallery
Announcements