cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot A530 Deleting Pictures Without Deleting Folders

tuxedo
Contributor

How can I delete pictures from my A530 without deleting them from the folders I made for those pictures?

17 REPLIES 17

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Your camera should not be used to store images.  You can and WILL lose images some day.  It is a best practice to download all of your images to some type of external storage, like a computer.

It is also a best practice to periodically format your memory card in the camera.  How often this should be done depends upon how much use you get out of your camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have them on my computer.  They disappear from folders when I delete them from camera.  Can no one answer this question?  I have tried multiple sources and no on can come up with an answer.

Are you saying that somehow your computer is somehow mirroring the contents of your camera's memory card?  Any changes on the card are then reflected on the computer when you connect your camera to it?

What computer are you using?  What software, if any, are you using for organizing your photos?  What specifically do you do to copy photos from your camera's memory card to your computer?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

normadel
Authority
Authority

Short answer is.....use the delete button on the camera when viewing each individual picture. 

But as Waddizzle says, you shouldn't be using the camera/memory card as a file storage site. Take pictures, then get them off the camera and organize them however you want on your computer.

tuxedo
Contributor

I have them on my computer and they disappear from then folers when I delete them from the camera.

tuxedo
Contributor

Using Windows 11 and making folders for my pictures.  But when I delete them from camera they also delete from the folder I made for those pictures.

We need much more details than that.  I'll ask again for specifically what you're doing when importing photos from your camera to your computer.

For example, using a card reader attached the computer, Adobe Lightroom is used to import the photos to the computer's built-in storage.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

tuxedo
Contributor

I use the cord that came with the camera, inserted in the USB port.  The computer picks that up and then I can download the pictures.  I then select the ones for the individual folders I made for them.  Then I delete them from the camera and find that those same pictures were deleted from their respective folders.

normadel
Authority
Authority

Do you by chance have the files selected in the camera's File Manager window and in the folder you  created both at the same time? If so, when you "delete", both files will be deleted.

Can't imagine any other way your "problem" can be happening.

Announcements