cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX200 IS Memory card error

JerryButorac
Apprentice

Out of nowhere, I came up with a memory card error on my canon power shot sx 200 is. Any suggestions on how to correct the problem?

36 REPLIES 36

hsbn
Whiz
If there is nothing in the card, you can try to reformat the card inside the camera.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

How do you reformat the memory card?

How do you reformat memory card inside a Canon PowerShot ELPH 115 IS ....I've been searching online, but the instructions are for a different model.

Press the menu button, then select the tools menu, scroll down to format, and press func/set button.

FormatELPH1.PNG

FormatELPH2.PNG

Steve M.

My error comes up w/power on.  The menu has the format option grayed out(so unavailable) but these cards can be formatted on other devices. I see that this is a very common problem.  So if we are able to eliminate the card as the prob, then what is the 2nd most likely issue within the camera?  Thanks.

@Tee-time1 wrote:

My error comes up w/power on.  The menu has the format option grayed out(so unavailable) but these cards can be formatted on other devices....Thanks.

If you format the card in a laptop or desktop, make sure you also format it again in the camera in which it will be used. Provided that the camera will allow you to do so. Also set the clock and calendar while you're in the set-up menus.

JS
Apprentice

brand new Power Shot elph 115 Bundle  out of box...MEMORY CARD ERROR (Dane Elec sdhc).  Camera format did not work.  Old SD card worked to take a few mother's day pix.  Why would bundled card not work in new camera ???? 

Like all items, some of them are dead on arrival. It's pretyt normal and it could be manufacture error, defective product, shipping and/or packing damage, etc...If it is new, you can exchange for another one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi JerryButorac,

As Hsbn mentioned, if you've saved your images and movies to your computer, I'd recommend formatting the memory card.  If you're unable to do this, I recommend trying a second memory card.  If the memory card error persists unfortunately, your camera will require repair.

You may set up camera repair by clicking here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements