cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Distance Resolution

BigSkyGuy
Apprentice

When trying to resolve detail, such as a chart used for eye exams, at a distances of 1/4 to 1/2 mile, which is better to use, a camera such as the SX50HS with a long optical focal length, or one such as the G3 X with the larger 1" sensor?  I am interested in compact cameras, not DSLRs.

7 REPLIES 7

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@BigSkyGuy wrote:

When trying to resolve detail, such as a chart used for eye exams, at a distances of 1/4 to 1/2 mile, which is better to use, a camera such as the SX50HS with a long optical focal length, or one such as the G3 X with the larger 1" sensor?  I am interested in compact cameras, not DSLRs.

For still subjects at a long distance my choice would be the SX50HS.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I would use math.

Knowing the focal length you know the angle of view.

Knowing the number of pixels in the sensor you know the pixels per degree. The one that has the most pixels per degree is the one you want.

The SX50 HS has a 2 degree field of view at "1200 mm"" and 4000 pixels for 2000 pixels per degree

The G3X has a 4 degree field of view at "600 mm" and 5472 pixels for 1368 pixels per degree.

But while the SX50 has better resolution on paper, the G3X might have better optics and better low light performance.

Thanks - I'm not sure there is an easy solution. I may look at a Nikon Coolpix P900 to solve this - I need to come up with the best solution I can.

You might see if you can rent it to do some actual tests.

Good idea!

Atmospheric haze is going to degrade whatever you use.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Camera shake could be an issue at the longer focal lengths, too.  You're gonna need a fast shutter and/or steady hands, no matter which camera you choose..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements