cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G9 Remote release

Pixels
Apprentice

I have a Canon Powershot G9 and I would like to be able to trigger the camera remotely using a wireless remote control.

There is no (apparent) plug to allow me access to this function

Does the mini - USB port (under the "AV Out Digital" flap) allow me into the control of the camera.

Any thoughts ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for that - Much as I had feared.

Was hoping to use the G9 in a kite !!

It's a good weight and reasonable lens.

I suppose there is still the possibility of some sort of remote physical trigger that actually "pushes the button" !

But it doesn't seem very elegant, does it ?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GaryS
Enthusiast

"Does the mini - USB port (under the "AV Out Digital" flap) allow me into the control of the camera."

No.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

A socket for a remote release was added when they introduced the Powershot G10 (and everything after that) but the G9 doesn't have a remote release socket nor does it have an IR remote trigger.  (On a G10 or later you'd get a Canon "Remote Switch RS-60E3").

You CAN remotely control the camera using a computer.  The CameraWindow utility that would have been included on the utilities CD that was in the box should work.  Canon provides an SDK to allow developers of 3rd party applications to interface with their cameras.  The CameraWindow app (which Canon includes) is just one way to control it, but there may be other applications that can control it.  

The down-side of this is that you have to have a computer with you to control it.  There are some fairly LONG usb cables available (astronomers use them all the time to control cameras that are attached to the telescopes.)  There are also some wireless remote USB ports (you attach one half of the wireless USB port to your computer and can place the other half remotely at some distance -- but these can get complex and expensive (at some point it will be easier and cheaper to upgrade to a more recent camera with the features you want.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for that - Much as I had feared.

Was hoping to use the G9 in a kite !!

It's a good weight and reasonable lens.

I suppose there is still the possibility of some sort of remote physical trigger that actually "pushes the button" !

But it doesn't seem very elegant, does it ?

Announcements