cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7X flash sparks

Nikicrow
Apprentice

Hi, 

I have a G7X that was working fine, no issues and then when I went to use the flash it sparked and made a really loud bang noise. I thought it was a fluke so I waited to use the flash a few days, tried multiple times, everytime it sparked. It’s been about a year and a half and I tried it again today and again it still sparks if you use the flash. Can anything be done? 

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Niki and welcome to the forum:
Right off, when something like that sparks and makes a bang that is a fairly definitive sign that it has suffered a catastrophic failure - a bang or sparks usually suggest a short or power surge, neither of which is good for the camera as a whole.

I would first of all suggest you try to shoot without the flash and see if the other functions of the camera work.  If not, it is likely the whole motherboard is cooked and that is expensive.  If it does work in available light, then I suggest you call 1-800-OK-CANON and have a chat to their friendly service people.   However, assuming it is not under warranty, it is likely to be more than the camera is worth to repair, in which case you could try the Canon upgrade program, where they give you a credit off the cost of a new camera.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

rs-eos
Elite

I would recommend no longer using your camera and look to send in for repair.  Continued use could lead to further damage or even injury.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements