cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G12 partially blacked out viewing screen

How2
Apprentice

Hello

I am a novice and purchased a new G12 in early 2011. As noted the camera is rarely used.

Recently I noted the  viewing screen is partialy blacked out and the image color is wrong.

I have tried serveral different full charged batteries and noticed the black out area does not stay in the center part of the screen when the camera is turned off, then on again.

The camera has never been dropped or wet. It has a vintage type flip and snap flap cover.

Any idea what the problem is and what the best cost effective way to get this fixed?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How has the camera been stored?  Was it stored in such a way to "squeeze" the LCD? 

We can only speculate on the forums.  I suggest that you contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

smack53
Mentor

With that camera being the age it is, Canon most likely would not repair it. Even Authorized Canon dealers would steer you to a new camera. I had an issue with my PowerShot G12 and sent it to a place called cameras and parts. If you google that you can go to their website and click on complete repair packages. You will see LCD replacement under that and the cost of repair is $136.00 (USD) for a G-Series camera. I am extremely happy with the repair that was done for me. It took about 10 days total, but it's like a new camera now.

Before you do any of that, have you done a reset of the camera? Since the camera sat around for a while, there may be an issue with the cable that goes to the LCD. Flip the screen a few times including twisting from front to back. If the screen corrects itself, that could possibly indicate a bad connection. Does that camera still take a photo without any issues to the final photo? Just want to be sure its not the sensor.

The image color might be an incorrect white balance, so see if it's in AUTO for that. Press the Func/Set button and scroll down to the White Balance (WB) settings and see if it's AUTO. If so, there is a feature to let you adjust the colors manually. It's a little tedious to do, but it is there in case. When you are in the White Balance, press the DISP button and you should be able to correct the colors.

Steve M.

hey 53

Thanks for the ideas, here is what I know.

I reset the camera,per your suggestion. And I flipped the screen a couple of times. In doing that the "blackout' area does not change, UNLESS I flip the screen in the closed, non view mode. Then the black out area will shift to another part of the view screen when re-opened for viewing. Ocassionaly after doing this a couple of times the image will center and the correct color will come back.

But,it doesn't stay that way after I shut the camera off, then on again.

Strangely enough, when I tinker with turning this off and on, the menu highligh color will change from green to purple. The colors change each time in turn the display mode off and on again

Accoridng to the manual, after selection the Function /Set button, I should get a menu that shows the AWB  on the side bar menu along with 7 options. The only command that shows up is the "aspect ration" option. And yes you called that correctly, the camera is in auto mode for this setting.

Just before posting this. I  tinkered with the camera, turned the camer off and on, and flipped the screen (more than once).

In one occurance, the image centered in the view screen and the color was correct. I took 4  photos that looked correct.

I flipped the screen shut and re-opened it. Well, it didn't stay "fixed".

My suspicion is the cable in view screen is biffed.

Also 3 years ago a professional photographer (using exclusively Canon) said Canon had a "refresh" service that was not a repair service. For a flat fee Canon goes throught the camera, updates things and repairs things.  He reccomended doing this instead of a repair should problems or cleaning ever be an issue. That was something he did with his cameras.

Have you heard of this?

Do you know if Canon has a help line with a live person for guess-ti-mating repairs if this service is not longer available?

Again thanks for the ideas / suggestions.

H2

Hi H2,

As far as I know, the refresh service that was being spoken of is for the DSLR cameras, and not point and shoots. Here's a link to the page:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/canon-maintenance-service....

The number for service is 1-800-OK-CANON to speak live to a rep. To locate a service center check this link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair/servicelocation?cm_sp=CSO-_....

As I mentioned before, they might try steering you to a customer loyalty discount on a new camera. That's what I was offered when my G12 stopped working.

Steve M.

Thanks for the 411, apprreciate it.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements