cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the SX530 stop recording video after a certain time?

ajprice1994
Apprentice

I've been trying to find an answer to this question everywhere. I understand that there is a limit to the video file size but once it gets there does the SX530 automatically start a new video (like the GoPro does) without me having to press anything? I remember trying to use a Sony a while back and it stopped recording once the file size reached the limit, which was about 15 minutes, and it ruined the entire recording of the program since it was the main camera. This is very important for me since I am a musician and often record myself or my band and can't be behind the camera at all times. 
Thanks for the help.

Alex

8 REPLIES 8

John_
Authority

Yes it will....

recording time.JPG

Thanks for the quick response. Is there any way to change this? I love the camera but this is a deal breaker.

no unfortunately thats how all the cameras are I think its so not to infringe on the camcorder market it is designed into the camera

ajprice1994
Apprentice

Thanks for all the help John. It's too bad they feel like they have to do that. For the average person that wants one affordable camera to cover it all, it's a little frustrating.

Yes I understand both sides of it. I dont reccomend it but I know there is 3rd party firmware for some cameras to replace the Canon firmware but Im not sure if it lifts that limit or not. Certainly it would void any warranty etc.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I'm not sure about the SX530, but still cameras that can shoot video limit their video files to 2GB, or less.  This is done so that they cannot be considered camcorders, which would cause them to meet different import tariffs, and such.  DSLRs are great for shooting short video scenes, and then editing them together into a longer video, or movie.

If you wish to shoot extended video files over 2 GB, then I would suggest using one of Canon's consumer camcorders.  Check the file length specifications on them compared to your still camera.  Now is a good time to buy one, due to the numerous holiday sales, and an apparent clearance effort on the part of Canon.  I suspect they will be introducing new product lines in the next year, or so.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thats right and check out the Canon refurbished camcorders I was impressed with the pricing on the refurbished cameras.

Recording could also stop due to heat buildup on the image sensor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements