cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does "Sealed" Seal the Deal?

rickaltman
Contributor

I am shopping for a camera to take on safari and have narrowed it down to three super-zoom models: Sony RX10 IV, Panasonic DMC-FZ1000, and Canon SX70 HS. The Sony is rated as "sealed" and therefore water- and dust-proof, while the other two are not.

The Sony is also quite heavy, very expensive, and likely overkill for our needs. But as I imagine ourselves in an open jeep, on dirt roads, and in rain forests, I find myself placing quite a bit of weight on that one quality.

But in truth, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

I would appreciate insight into this specification known as "sealed." How sealed is sealed, how vulnerable are unsealed cameras, and when being in the outbacks of Africa, how valuable will this prove to be?

All thoughts welcome. And if there are other cameras in this category that you think I should be considering, I would be grateful to hear that, as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Believe he's just looking for weather sealing.  Dust and water resistance.  The screen shot I provided above is from the R10 IV's webpage.  Its not water or dust proof, just resistant.  Same as what Canon refers to as "weather sealed". 

I know he's not going swimming with it.  Unless he wants to be Croc food.  @Rickaltman.  Any camera is going to do reasonably well in Africa.  You need to be mindful its a dirty, dusty place where you can get rained on occasionally depending on the time of year.  Non weather sealed [Canon] or "unsealed" [Sony] cameras are more susceptible to dust and water.  I've owned both and have used both under varied conditions.  I don't usually take my cameras regardless of rating into blowing sand or heavy dust.  Rain I do, but I try to cover it a little, so they don't get drenched.  Salt water is the exception, I try to avoid that as well when possible.  Day at the ocean in still weather is fine.  Day when its windy and waves are breaking over my head no.  Don't get too hung up on this.  A weather sealed or sealed body is probably a better candidate for Africa over non.  But many make these trips with non sealed cameras and lenses each year.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'm pretty sure "Sealed" means water and dust resistant.  Not water or dust proof.

Canon uses the term "weather sealed"  vs. non-weather sealed.  

The Sony is not water or dust proof

shadowsports_0-1682547928325.png

The Canon and Sony are not even in the same camera "class" and cannot be fairly compared to one another.  The Canon and Panasonic are a closer match.  If you are considering the Sony (price wise) then you might consider comparing it to a different Canon body and lens such as the R7, which is weather sealed and also resistant to dust and water.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

rickaltman
Contributor

Thanks, Rick. While the Sony is indeed a superior camera, I suspect it might be too much camera for me, and I would say the same about the R7. I have concluded that one size (lens) must fit all for this trip; hence my mentioning the RX10 in the same breath as the SX70.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What is your budget?  You've expressed interest in cameras at the top and bottom of a spectrum.  I understand you are looking for the best camera you can afford with an integrated lens.  Thanks

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I will buy the bridge camera that I think best suits me. Irrespective of cost. 

@rickaltman wrote:

I will buy the bridge camera that I think best suits me. Irrespective of cost. 

I am not aware of any bridge or point & shoot camera bodies that are weather resistant being sold by any major manufacturer.

There have been a few “waterproof” models that were supposed to [be] suitable for shallow underwater photography.  But I think most, if not all, have been discontinued.  You really could not exceed more that 6-8 feet deep with one.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The Sony RX10 IV is said to be "sealed" and indeed, it is the only one in the class that makes that claim. I am trying to ascertain how much weight to place on that statistic.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I think the Olympus TG-6 is still available. My TG-5 is rated to 15 m, which means don't take it below 6-8 feet. 8^)

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Believe he's just looking for weather sealing.  Dust and water resistance.  The screen shot I provided above is from the R10 IV's webpage.  Its not water or dust proof, just resistant.  Same as what Canon refers to as "weather sealed". 

I know he's not going swimming with it.  Unless he wants to be Croc food.  @Rickaltman.  Any camera is going to do reasonably well in Africa.  You need to be mindful its a dirty, dusty place where you can get rained on occasionally depending on the time of year.  Non weather sealed [Canon] or "unsealed" [Sony] cameras are more susceptible to dust and water.  I've owned both and have used both under varied conditions.  I don't usually take my cameras regardless of rating into blowing sand or heavy dust.  Rain I do, but I try to cover it a little, so they don't get drenched.  Salt water is the exception, I try to avoid that as well when possible.  Day at the ocean in still weather is fine.  Day when its windy and waves are breaking over my head no.  Don't get too hung up on this.  A weather sealed or sealed body is probably a better candidate for Africa over non.  But many make these trips with non sealed cameras and lenses each year.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements