cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon sx740 flash popping up but not working

Aionoura
Apprentice

IMG_2837.jpeg

I just bought a Canon sx740 HS from Amazon directly from Canon . I just received the camera last night and I was excited to shoot with it . I used whatever little bit of charge there was left in the battery and tried testing out different settings . My flash was doing great I’m extremely happy with the way the camera shoots and normally use all my pictures with flash . I left it alone after about 20 minutes and started charging the battery and then I woke up this morning and placed in the camera and started shooting . My camera shot about one picture with flash and just gave up . It pops up but it just won’t flash , yes I have checked my settings , reset them , turned the camera on and off , took the battery out and even changed the shooting modes .  Nothing seems to work it shot about 1 or 2 times when I was trying to figure out what’s wrong but nothing seems to work when shooting with the flash the flash sign does appear on the bottom of the screen but there’s no flash … I took a picture of what it looks like when I have the flash on and it shoots its odd because it’s in a really dark setting 

Is there anything I can do I’ve only had it for a few hours 😕

5 REPLIES 5

Stephen

Welcome to the Canon Community!

The Community isn't intended for immediate assistance.

If your question is urgent, please call support at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666), Monday through Friday.

If you're outside the USA, please click HERE for support options. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What just happened??  😂  You had a great picture of your camera with its flash open, and now a black image with a blurry LED.  

In any event, congrats on the new camera.  So the battery is now fully charged, you have reset the camera, but the flash does not fire? (at all)

For your benefit, I would suggest you spend time reviewing the user guide for your camera.  It can help you become familiar with its controls and features more quickly.

pssx740hs-cu2-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

What shooting mode are you in?  Please review flash functions on page 61 and ensure your shooting mode and flash settings are correct.

Given the scarcity of powershot devices these days, can you please confirm your camera came with USA Warranty Card in its box?  Was it an "International model" Also that you purchased it directly from Amazon > ships from and sold by amazon.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi yes Ik I had a good picture up 😂 But I was looking at the camera in a dark setting and realized the flash seems like it’s trying but it just won’t work that’s what that little light it is that’s as far as it goes . Just checked on Amazon and it’s does indeed say international model . I’m in Program Auto , I have the flash on the setting on and it worked just fine yesterday I’m not sure what it is today . I’m pretty familiar with cameras too I’ve had my Sony rx100 v for quite sometime before then I did use to shoot with the canon rebel t6 I really liked the way canon shoots so I decided I wanted to try a small digital camera it’s great and all but I will really appreciate if my flash would work . I will check if there’s a warranty card in the box 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you are in P mode and have confirmed the flash is set to fire (always) I'd return it.  You don't want to purchase grey market products, working or not.  If you do ever need service, parts availability (or lack of) may keep you from getting service or support where you live. You just don't know what you're getting.  It's not worth it.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Stephen

For what it's worth, Canon USA does not sell on Amazon. Amazon runs the "Canon Store" on Amazon, and we have no control over the sellers or the authenticity of products sold there. The only Authorized Canon Dealer on Amazon is Amazon.com, so, as shadowsports mentioned, you want to make sure a Canon product is sold and shipped by Amazon.com; otherwise, you may not be eligible for warranty service or support from Canon USA. You can learn about Gray Market products HERE

click here to view the gallery
Announcements