cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SX130IS powers off as soon as I power it on

TnMtnMn
Contributor

As soon as I power on my camera it shows the date/time set screen then goes black. Lens doesn’t fully retract either. I’ve cleaned battery terminals, replaced batteries, and tried different memory card. One thing I know is wrong is that the date/time battery is completely drained. New one on way. I don’t have the power cord for it and haven’t even found one for sale anywhere yet.
Any suggestions,help, or recommendations on where to get power cord also would be greatly appreciated. 
Was hoping to pass this camera down to my grand daughter for Christmas but it’s not looking good. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TnMtnMn
Contributor

Well I eventually found the problem. The battery door has a very small piece missing out of it and apparently this let the door not shut all the way. That small little crack was and is just enough to make it lose power. So now I’m on a hunt for a battery door for it. Any help would be appreciated. Already did eBay and Amazon, googled it and it seems like everyone that had one is sold out. Any help please. TIA

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Sounds dead. Was this a new Canon battery?

I use AA batteries. This camera didn’t come with a canon battery. I tried several sets of AA’s. Some showed that batteries were dead (brand new) and others didn’t even work. 

Sorry, I thought that all the Canon Point and shoots that used AA batteries were the "A" Series.

Not this one apparently. I bought it new a few years back (before smartphones) and loved this camera. That’s why I would like to get it up and running again to pass along to grand daughter since she’s kinda into photography. 

TnMtnMn
Contributor

Well I eventually found the problem. The battery door has a very small piece missing out of it and apparently this let the door not shut all the way. That small little crack was and is just enough to make it lose power. So now I’m on a hunt for a battery door for it. Any help would be appreciated. Already did eBay and Amazon, googled it and it seems like everyone that had one is sold out. Any help please. TIA

Announcements