cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon G9X vs SX720HS

18inch
Apprentice

Hi people!

Im very hesitant between the G9X and SX720HS, is there a big difference in terms of image quality? is the 1" sensor on the g9x a big step up ? is the 40x on the SX720hs really the biggest advantage only?

thx

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@18inch wrote:

Hi people!

Im very hesitant between the G9X and SX720HS, is there a big difference in terms of image quality? is the 1" sensor on the g9x a big step up ? is the 40x on the SX720hs really the biggest advantage only?

thx

Those are two very different cameras, as you seem to have already noted the difference in optical zoom and image sensor size.  I have not used, or owned, either of those cameras.  I compare the specifications, and I feel the G9X is a better camera, and the list prices seem to suggest that just may be the case.

Generally, a larger image sensor is capable of collecting more light, which should result in more detailed images.  Of course, the lens optics will be the ultimate determining factor in how sharp and detailed the final images can be.  Because a larger sensor is physically capable of collecting more light, a larger sensor should perform better in low light conditions than a smaller sensor.  Comparing the ISO specifications of the two cameras seem to confirm that the G9X is MUCH better in low light, such as indoors without a flash.

The much higher optical zoom ratio is another significant difference between the cameras.  The G9X has a 35mm equivalent range of 28-80mm.  The SX720 HS has a 35mm equivalent range of 24-960mm.  The best lenses are arguably what are known as "prime" lenses, or lenses have a single, fixed focal length, which do not zoom.  Prime lenses contain focusing elements that are optimized to precisely focus at one focal length. 

When you introduce the concept of zooming, then the focusing elements are not optimized for one focal length, but rather compromised somewhat to operate over a range of focal lengths.  As you might suspect, the wider the zoom range, the wider the range of compromises that must be made in the lens' focusing elements.  As a general rule, once you get past 3-4x zoom ratio, then the compromises that must be made to achieve higher zoom ratio begin noticeably degrade image quality.

Niether of these cameras have interchangeable lenses.  What you buy is what you get.  I think the G9X is a great "street" lens, and would work well shooting indoors in less than ideal lighting conditions.  I think the SX720 HS is a camera that tries to do it all, but does nothing exceptionally well.  It is far less sensitive in low light situations.  The higher zoom ratio will allow you to capture sports action closeups, and probably good shots of birds in trees, BUT only the under the best lighting conditions.

How well either camera can focus, I cannot say.  I am more familiar with Canon EOS DSLR cameras, not the Powershot Series of cameras.  With its' larger image sensor, I would suspect the G9X would focus better, in addition to having a lens that is likely to have better image quality.  I would point out that the G9X is priced very close to the entry level EOS DSLR models, which have even larger sensors and even better lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

smack53
Mentor

I had the same dilemma when I was deciding on the PowerShot G12 and the SX150IS. The zoom range of the SX150 was far greater than the G12, but the image quality of the G12 was far superior to the SX150IS. As far as both cameras were concerned, each had full manual control of he camera, with the G12 having more external control versus the SX150IS which is more menu driven. The thing that got me to buy the G12 was the ability to shoot in RAW. That allows for a much greater dynamic range to pull every bit of detail possible from the image in Post Processing. I also found the G12 much faster to focus. The SX150IS has a much harder time to focus especially at the long end of the zoom, and the SX720 has the same issue.

I actually wound up with both cameras as I won the SX150IS in a photo contest. It's not a bad camera, but the G12 is just leaps and bounds ahead in the ability to capture shots the SX150IS just doesn't seem to be able to get.

The G9x vs SX720 is pretty much the same argument. The G9x will yield images of a much higher quality than the SX720, but will not be able to get the distance shots you seem to be after with the SX720. If you do decide on the SX720, I would pass along what I've learned about the SX150Is that I have...shoot in manual modes (Av, Tv,, or M) and make sure the I-Contrast is set to Auto for maximum dynamic range. If you want really terrific macro shots, the G9x is the hands down winner here. But either way, they are both very capable cameras that allow full control over the images.

Good luck on your choice.

Steve M.

18inch
Apprentice

thx for the replies!

So i tried both for almost a week, and ended up keeping the G9X instead of Sx720.

It is a clear winner, as much as i was able to take very nice pictures with the SX720 and the zoom is lots of fun... the G9X is simply a superior camera in every way (except zoom obviously), well worth the extra 100$! Especially in low light situations.

From the very easy and intuitive functionality/touchscreen feature which is very smartphone-like along with the ring control which give that extra feel and control, all the way to the stunning tiny sized frame (almost half as big as my S7 Edge). It is very surprising how this little beast can take excellent picture quality and full hd video! 

Clearly superior than the SX720 and SIGNIFICANTLY superior than any smartphone camera. Which was exactly what i was looking for.

Simple, tiny and quality.

Love it

thx for all the help

You are very welcome! Smart choice, the G9X is quite a camera. I know you will thoroughly enjoy the camera, and once you try post processing of RAW files, you will be amazed at the professional looking photos the camera will take. Have fun!

Steve M.

Announcements