cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon G12_I can't take a picture. Purple lines fade in and out then black screen.

chipboeckh
Apprentice

Downloaded some pictures off the G12, then charged the battery and when I reinstalled the battery I could view taken pictures but when I switch to camera mode I get brief purple lines then black. And I'm not able to take pictures. Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

smack53
Mentor

Uh oh, sounds like the processor or sensor might have retired. I have to assume you cannot access the menu to do a full system reset, so I would remove the battery and keep it out for about an hour. With the battery out, press the power button down and hold it for about ten seconds. Then reinstall the battery and see if it does the same thing. If so, you may have to contact Canon about a repair, but that could be very costly. There might have been some static charge that occurred when you changed the battery, or else the processor or sensor has reached the end of the line.

I feel your anxiety as I have a PowerShot G12 and it is my favorite camera. There are used ones out there, and some refurbished if you need to replace it. I sure hope that you can get this one running again.

Steve M.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

smack53
Mentor

Uh oh, sounds like the processor or sensor might have retired. I have to assume you cannot access the menu to do a full system reset, so I would remove the battery and keep it out for about an hour. With the battery out, press the power button down and hold it for about ten seconds. Then reinstall the battery and see if it does the same thing. If so, you may have to contact Canon about a repair, but that could be very costly. There might have been some static charge that occurred when you changed the battery, or else the processor or sensor has reached the end of the line.

I feel your anxiety as I have a PowerShot G12 and it is my favorite camera. There are used ones out there, and some refurbished if you need to replace it. I sure hope that you can get this one running again.

Steve M.

Steve,

I will definately try this.

Thanks for the reply.

I saw a seemingly crazy solution for a similar problem, black screen on a different model powershot...and he said it did solve his problem. That one was shutter realated or so it seemed. By TV mode he meant Tv mode as opposed to Auot Manual Av etc

Fixed ! crazy solution, but I'm good to go.

Found the solution here, which is:

set the camera in TV mode,

set the shutter at 15 sec,

click to take a picture

and during that 15 secs (like, after 7 seconds) open the battery cover. After the batteries are inserted again, the camera works and I can take pictures.

Not sure if this will help but it cant hurt to try. Here is the link to that thread https://www.flickr.com/groups/26928900@N00/discuss/72157606903408401/72157653360775632/

HOLY CRAP it worked!

Thank You Steve! You just saved us a lot of money.

We still have our fist Canon Powershot we dropped that one down a mountain!

It's held together with duct tape ... still works!

Thanks again.

-Chip

So glad to hear that! Makes this forum worthwhile when something good happens! My first PowerShot sits back in the box after taking many thousands of photos, and more than a few falls. These are pretty tough cameras for the most part.

Steve M.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements