cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera SX50HS - Histogram: RAW or JPG? SX50HS

Grazie
Rising Star

Camera SX50HS

When I have dual capture, meaning, I can take RAW and JPG, what is the Histogram considering? I ask because on review the RAW and JPG Histograms are different. Yes, I know that the size format is different, and I expect the Histogram to reflect this, but just WHAT is the Histogram considering? R or J? Or maybe neither and that this Histogram is ONLY what the camera is seeing, regardless of format.

TIA

G

9 REPLIES 9

Peter
Authority
Authority

The histogram is from jpg. With third part hack CHDK you maybe will be able to use raw histogram. The latest time I used CHDK was when S3 IS was new.

Thanks Peter - understood.

G

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

A histogram only makes sense on "cooked" data - so the JPEG data is used. There was an old Luminous Landscape article on this very subject, but it is currently behind a paywall.

After all, without white balance applied, what should the colors be?

@kvbarkley wrote:

A histogram only makes sense on "cooked" data - so the JPEG data is used. There was an old Luminous Landscape article on this very subject, but it is currently behind a paywall.

After all, without white balance applied, what should the colors be?

I find in camera raw histogram useful. Miss it really much with my Canon M5.

First image, a print screen from the display from my 6D: 1% of red channel, 9% of green channel and 5% of blue channel blown out. I also get a suggestion of -1,5 EV to get all the highlights. Perhaps -1,3 would be perfect to just blow the highligts in green channel 1% and try to recover it in Darktable.

Second image, Darktable with raw highlight clipping activated.

raw106ef23ac55cc0612effbe13961511f632927547.jpg

rawab7493570ec2ca11a3ceb2d2a64d8f94c2cdbe78.png

This was the point of the LL article. You can display a raw histogram, but it uses the JPEG data to do it.

Peter
Authority
Authority
No picture style, no white balance. Do you have a link to the paywall article?

No, but I am sure if you search LL for "RAW Histogram" it will pop up.

@kvbarkley wrote:

No, but I am sure if you search LL for "RAW Histogram" it will pop up.

It didn´t. Only found people begging for raw histogram at the forum over there.

Sorry, my google-foo failed.

Announcements