cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Av priority not letting me set to 2.0?? why???

Maria
Enthusiast

I've had this problem a few times and wondering if it something i'm doing, an issue with the camera or 'normal'?

Here is the scenario, i have a powershot s110, i use the camera and try out the same shot in various settings, ie full Auto, Tv priority, Manual and Av priority and i've noticed that if i do this when i get to Av priority it will not let me go below 5.0.  It's greyed out.  Doesn't matter what i do it limits the aperture i can use... which doesn't make sense to me since i've set it to Aperture priority - why can i not set it what ever i want? why can i not go below 5?  BUT if i shut the camera off and turn back on, all of a sudden i can go as low as 2.0.  Now having said that i haven't figured that out (or remeber to) at the moment so will move away from that spot so shot is different.  Once i run into the Av issue i switch the Manual and even there it limits the aperture i can use ;( 

Anyone know why this may be happening?

2 REPLIES 2

ScottyP
Authority
Hi Maria, the problem that you are having is that the lens on your camera has a variable max aperture. At wide angle you can get a 2.0 aperture, but as you zoom in the maximum aperture shrinks. At full telephoto the widest aperture you can get is over five.
What is happening is that when you turn the camera off, the telephoto lens tucks back in, then goes back to wide-angle. That is why when you turn it back on again you can get the lower f-number again. Because you are back on wide angle.

Does that help you?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks Scott!!  That does make sense now and really does help!  Greatly appreciate the response!! 

Will have to run out and test it!  🙂

Announcements