cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mf644cdw prints images but not text

ponders
Apprentice

An update:

I had the idea to see what would happen if I tried printing from Windows. So, I brought up an old Windows machine and tried printing the same document from the Window's version of Word and found that it prints correctly. I.e. the text portion of the page prints correctly as shown here. Note that: 1) I've added additional fonts to the document since my first test to see if it's specific to one font, it isn't, and 2) it formats a little differently on Word for WIndows vs Word for Mac (note the placement of the text relative to the graphics).

This suggests that the problem is Mac specific and seems like it probably has something to do with the Mac printer driver or settings for this printer. I've poked around and haven't found anything obvious. It would be nice if I could easily dump what's being sent to the printer in both cases to compare therm, but I'm not sure how to best accomplish that.

Any thoughts or ideas regarding the Mac printer driver/settings, and/or how to dump what's being sent to the printer?

Printed from Word for Windows:

printedFromWordForWindows.jpg

Original post:

I'm printing a Microsoft Word document (shown below) to my MF644Cdw printer and it is not printing the text but it does print all images including the black "hand drawn" text from the document as seen in the second image below. I just replaced all four toner cartridges (using Canon cartridges) and the printer correctly indicates they are all full.

Is the font rendering in the printer somehow broken?

Are there any diagnostics I could try in order to help figure out what's going on?

Any other ideas?

product & version info:

Microsoft Word for Mac, Version 16.44 (20121301)

macOS Big Sur, version 11.1

Canon Color imageCLASS MF644Cdw

Version Information
Main Controller: 06.03
Boot ROM: 01.01
DCON: 02.01
Language: 01.19

Screenshot of Word document within Word:

OriginalWordDoc.jpg

Picture of the printed page:

PrintedWordDoc.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Shirley2
Apprentice

Apple provide their own drivers - and need udating for big sur 

Go to the printers  System Preferenes - delete the printer  usimg the -  Then click on the + and any printers will appear in the window Select the one for your printer and install it.  I had to reboot the computer with this new driver and both text and graphics printed normally. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Shirley2
Apprentice

Apple provide their own drivers - and need udating for big sur 

Go to the printers  System Preferenes - delete the printer  usimg the -  Then click on the + and any printers will appear in the window Select the one for your printer and install it.  I had to reboot the computer with this new driver and both text and graphics printed normally. 

Thanks, Shirtley2!

I was able to get the printing to work correctly a few weeks ago by downloading and installing the drivers from the Canon site. I don't remember if I also ended up deleting and re-creating the printer in system preferences, but that seems likely. In either case it seems like getting the system to use new drivers, one way or another, is the key to the solution. It is disappointing that that didn't happen automatically.

cordyc
Apprentice

I've had the same issue with fading print. Been going on for a long time. I'm using the color laser LPB612 with Window 11 but have the same issues printing from an Android phone. My cartridges were low so I bought a whole new Canon set. And now it has even stopped printing color at all, doesn't even grayscale it. Support had me increase density but no change. I've also reloaded and restarted Windows. Found a reset on the printer but that didn't help either. This is only my 4th set of cartridges so this is getting very expensive. Tech said it was likely some sensor but didn't know how I could get it fixed since I'm out of warranty. Really disappointed at this point.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements