cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageClass mf249dw: connects to scanner but not printer

jpdevries
Apprentice

I'm unable to print from one of my Dell machines (XPS), but prints fine from another. Both running Windows10. Printer and both PCs Ethernet connected to the same router.

With the Dell XPS I remove the printer via control panel, and then click Add Printer. It discovers the MF240 over the network, but only installs the scanner functionality, not the printer. (The device name in Devices and Printers is "Canon MF240 Series UFRII LT".)

I can ping the printer fine from this machine, as you would expect from that behavior.

I then remove the device via Control Panel, and try to install the latest driver (MF240SeriesMFDriverV520WPusEN.exe). The driver unzips and installation starts (I choose network connected), but then I get an "MF Drivers" dialog box: "This computer is not assigned with a valid IP address. Configure the TCP/IP settings, and then try to install again."

I clearly have a valid IP address since I'm posting this message via the intertubes...

thanks for any help

JP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Jpdevries, The add a printer window does not install our drivers and software, it tries to detect the devices on the network and then associate the device with an already installed driver or a generic Windows driver. To install the correct drivers, you would to perform the install using our driver setup from our support site. Once you turned off the VPN software, the setup was able to properly detect the printer and setup the scanner and printer.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jpdevries
Apprentice
An update: I tried removing and reinstalling the printer with ExpressVPN turned off. I was able to install the printer and print a test page, which I wasn't able to do with ExpressVPN on. When I turn the VPN back on after installation, the printer still prints. But here's the puzzle: why could I install the scanner functionality on the device with the VPN on, but not the printer functionality?

Hello Jpdevries, The add a printer window does not install our drivers and software, it tries to detect the devices on the network and then associate the device with an already installed driver or a generic Windows driver. To install the correct drivers, you would to perform the install using our driver setup from our support site. Once you turned off the VPN software, the setup was able to properly detect the printer and setup the scanner and printer.
Announcements