imageCLASS MF642Cdw - Problem upgrading firmware

tlex
Contributor

My MFC642C printer is currently running this firmware :

Main controller : 7.02

Boot Rom : 2.01

DCON: 3.01

Language : 1.2

I tried upgrading it with the mac and then pc upgrade software but nothing is working. When I start the upgrade app I get prompted with a screen that ask me to choose a printer (non is available) but if I specify the ip address, the software wont find it. I also tried connecting it with the usb cable (both with my mac and then PC) - Same result.

Also If I try to update the firmware from the printer menu, it will timeout failing.

Any idea ?

Current :

tlex_0-1663632018636.png

The available update:

tlex_6-1663632329503.png

Trying to access the printer:

tlex_2-1663632099872.png

The result :

tlex_3-1663632120654.png

5 REPLIES 5

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Tlex,

If the Mac is unable to find the printer via the IP address and the update times out from the operation panel, I would suggest trying to improve the network connection. If connected via ethernet, you can try unpluggin the router from the power for 5 seconds and then plugging it back in. Once the network is back up, you can check if you can update the firmware or find the printer from the Mac. you can also check if any security software on the Mac is turned on and blocking the update utility. If connected via wifi, you can try restarting the router and moving the printer closer to the router.

If the update does not find the printer via USB, you can try switching the cable to another port or trying a new cable. You can also power cycle the printer while the cable is connected to see if the printer appears. If you continue to have problems with the firmware update, I would suggest contacting support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to help.

Sadly from a network point of view I can definitely say that everything is working A1 here. as for the Mac, as mentionned I'm having the same **bleep** issue with a PC. Could it be that this is a canadian model or something ?
Did you tried the firmware update software by any chances ? You get prompted for an ip and then it tells that the "USB cable is unplugged..." that sounds like something is wrong with it...

Any way, my printer is a mfc642cdw and I tried mac and pc update tools as well as update from the printer gui and nothing works. I disabled any firewall rules that could anyhow interfere and this is not changing anything. very frustrating.

tlex
Contributor

Also, when the printer is connected via usb, I can print and do everything from the pc.... except updating the **bleep** firmware.

RDG
Apprentice

Same problem here. Only having problems with this machine. Firmware updates are said up-to-date on the device but really aren't, doesn't see paper when tray is full, scan to email gives error #753 (forces the use of a cabled connexion over wifi?!), extremely clumsy softtware design...

EDIT: Managed to make it work after much fussing. The error code 753 given by the machine is inaccurate. The code refers to a cabled ethernet but I managed to fix the issue by changing SMTP server configuration; nothing to do with cable.

Hi, RDG. We recommend contacting phone support so they can troubleshoot this with you. They're at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) Monday-Friday from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm (ET)

Announcements