cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF642Cdw 'Filter' failed error message

Duckman
Apprentice

"Filter failed" message is generated by one PDF, but others print perfectly on my Imageclass MF642CDW.  My Imac runs High Sierra 10.13.6 and the PDFs that generate the error were downloaded from Vanguard, but are similar to others downloaded from other sites.  Any ideas?  How can one PDF be different from another?

2 REPLIES 2

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Duckman,

The filter failed message will appear when a Mac has a problem processing a print job. If you are having the issue with only one specific document, it might mean that the data for the document is corrupted for that PDF.

You can try resetting the printing system on your Mac and then adding the printer back to your Mac to see if you can now print that PDF.

1. Click on the apple in the upper left hand corner of the screen and then click on system preferences. Once in system preferences click on Printers and Scanners.
  2. In printers and scanners, right click on a blank portion of the printer list and then select "reset printing system".
  3. Click the + at the bottom of the list.
  4. Select the MF642 and then click add.

If you continue to have the issue, you can try downloading and installing the printer driver for the MF642 using the link below.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/color-laser/canon-color-i...

Once the driver has been reinstalled, you can try resetting the printing system one more time and adding the printer back to the list.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the reply.  I found a work around by opening the document in question with Adobe Reader instead of the default (Preview).  It printed just fine that way, for reasons I still don't understand.

Announcements