cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF632Cdw Paper Jam - torn paper can't get to rest

mldonahu
Apprentice

So, the power went out mid-print. When the power came back on I had to clear the paper jam. Due to the printer being in a challenging to access area, I had difficult getting the paper out and pulled too hard tearing it. I figured I could get the other half the paper from a different direction. It turns out I can't. The paper is located on the upper feed wheel in the back of the printer, just above the toner. During trouble shooting it retracted, so when you push on the plastic guard on top of the wheel you can see the top of the 2" of torn paper. I can feel the plastic spinner, there is no paper there. How on earth do I remove this remaining bit of paper? I don't see a way to manually turn that feeder wheel to draw it out.

Thank you in advance, I'm hopeful that if I need involved support/servicing there is a remote option, I kind of live in the middle of nowhere.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mldonahu
Apprentice

Our solution was: the paper was stuck inside the fixing unit.  [removed link - proprietary documentation] We took off the sides, the imaging unit on top (proper name was ADF unit I believe), and a few other things. Once we got the fixing unit out, there were no directions to disassemble that to get to the paper, but after removing a couple plates we could get in with needle nose pliers and pry out the paper that was stuck. After reassembly we only had one screw left. All in all it was 3 hours to take apart, get paper out and reassemble for someone that has never worked on a printer before. I recommend if taking this solution you make sure you are out of warranty for the printer, and don't have a servicing option nearby. It required a bit of patience. I also recommend taking pictures as you disassemble so you can remember where screws go, and how wire cables were managed. I'm fairly instrumentation savvy, so I was comfortable doing this. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We understand your issue, but you have not provided the model of your device, only a description of the problem you are facing.

Even knowing the model, it might not be possible to remove the paper without some disassembly. (guessing based on your description). Remote servicing? Canon does have a dealer network for its professional products, consumer printers no. We cannot comment further as you have not identified your product or location.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

My apologies for the oversight. It is a Color imageCLASS MF632Cdw, purchased in August of 2018. I think this is the second time I've ever had a paper jam. I live in rural northern Wisconsin. Eau Claire, WI is the nearest city that I could take it to for service. I'm comfortable with disassembling if I had some sort of service manual to know how to efficiently access the part where the paper is stuck.

mldonahu
Apprentice

Our solution was: the paper was stuck inside the fixing unit.  [removed link - proprietary documentation] We took off the sides, the imaging unit on top (proper name was ADF unit I believe), and a few other things. Once we got the fixing unit out, there were no directions to disassemble that to get to the paper, but after removing a couple plates we could get in with needle nose pliers and pry out the paper that was stuck. After reassembly we only had one screw left. All in all it was 3 hours to take apart, get paper out and reassemble for someone that has never worked on a printer before. I recommend if taking this solution you make sure you are out of warranty for the printer, and don't have a servicing option nearby. It required a bit of patience. I also recommend taking pictures as you disassemble so you can remember where screws go, and how wire cables were managed. I'm fairly instrumentation savvy, so I was comfortable doing this. 

Announcements