cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Scan Utility can't "see" documents in ADF - Printer can. MF264DW

OffMan
Apprentice

I’m having a weird problem with my Canon MF264dw printer/scanner.

The problem is that when I go to scan documents placed in the ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) the Canon MF Scan Utility on the problem PC cant “see” the documents in the ADF.
If I keep the setting on "Auto Mode" it just scans a blank page from the Platen.
If I use the ScanGear option and select "Feeder" it fails with a Canon error message: “Scangear MF can’t communicate with the scanner” Code 155,0,0.

Background:

• Scanning from the ADF was working from the problem PC at one time. It has been a few months since I used it last.
  • The printer is connected to the problem PC (running Windows 10 22H2) by USB cable.
  • The printer is also connected to the local network via Ethernet cable. I’ve tried it with the Ethernet cable disconnected.
  • All functions of the printer work. It copies on the printer from the ADF. It scans from the Platen Glass from the problem PC using the Scan Utility.
  • I have a second printer/scanner (Epson) connected by USB that can scan from the problem PC using it’s ADF.
  • I have a second PC (W10-22H2) that is connected to the printer through the wired network. It can scan from the ADF just fine.
  • When I use the Scan Utility to scan from the Feeder I get a message on the PC to “put a document in the feeder” - however a document is in the feeder.
  • The printer’s LCD screen says “The original is in the Feeder”.
  • When I first encountered this problem, in Canon MF Scan Utility, the only scanning option available was the “Platen Glass”. The other normal options - “Auto Mode” and “Feeder” - were not listed under any of the scanning methods in the Utility.
  • I updated the printers firmware, printer drivers, and scanner driver to the most recent versions from Canon. There were updated versions. The new scanner driver was dated 11/28/2022.
  • After updates, the normal 3 scanning options are now present in the Utility, but it still doesn’t work from the ADF Feeder with the error message I listed above.
  • I’ve tried disabling my antivirus software.
  • Again, all functions of the printer and the drivers are working just fine.
  • It is only the USB connected PC having a problem with the Canon printer.

There have probably been 5 or 6 Windows Updates since the ADF last worked and I think one of them was going from Windows 10 21H2 to 22H2.

Any thoughts on how to get communication to and from the printer ADF through a USB connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OffMan
Apprentice

I figured it out:  Bad USB cable.

Replaced it. Works.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

OffMan
Apprentice

I figured it out:  Bad USB cable.

Replaced it. Works.

Announcements