cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF4770n "not installed" and CanoScan 8800F same problem

kdustman
Apprentice

I have two Canon scanners (MF4770n and 8800F) and suddenly BOTH are not working. (I'm assuming it's some sort of Microsoft update, ugh). I have tried installing the new driver for the MF4770n - nothing. Both scanners are not showing on my computer as "installed devices" anymore. The two error messages I get are "A supported scanner is not installed" from MF Toolbox; and "ScanGear cannot communicate with scanner" for the 8800F. Hoping someone has a solution for both of these!

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Products: MF4770n, Canonscan 8800F

What version of windows are you running?  Please provide version and build.

Scanner is connected via USB.  How is the 4770 connected (USB or ethernet)?

Are you using any 3rd party anti-virus or firewall software?

Support Portals:

MF4770n

Canonscan 8800F

If you are using USB, please ensure both devices are connected directly to a USB port on the computer and that you are not using a hub or adapters.  

If you can still print, Its possible the below software patch will restore scanning function.

This patch resolves an issue that prevents scanning over a network or with a USB connection after upgrading Windows to a newer version. If you cannot scan over a network or with a USB connection, install this patch. If installing (or reinstalling) the MF driver, be sure to first restart (not shut down) your PC after driver installation is complete, and then install this patch. If you are using USB scan, be aware that it may cease functioning after any future upgrades to Windows. If this occurs, install this patch again. After installing this patch, if the message prompting you to restart your PC is displayed, restart (not shut down) your PC. * If you do not restart your PC, this patch will not take effect.

Network / USB Patch

If you cannot print, the patch won't help and additional steps will be needed.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you so much for the reply, Rick! Here is my system

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎9/‎16/‎2022
OS build 19045.4170
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19054.1000.0

Both the 8800 and the MF4470 are connected via USB. 

I have TrendMicro AV.

I haven't tried the patch because I can't tell the origin from the link, and I confess it makes me nervous when I'm not sure where it comes from. Is there a Canon page I could download it from? Or is it a Windows patch? 

Many thanks!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thanks for replying and answering my questions.

I applaud your caution and internet hygiene.  

That download comes directly from Canon USA, on the support portal for your device.  I provided links to the support portals for both of your devices in my previous reply, so you can visit the support portal yourself or trust that I'm providing you a vetted link directly from Canon.  I assume this means you are still able to print so it's likely the USB patch is going to resolve the issue.  

It's possible that functionality can be blocked by trend micro, so depending on the version you have, you may need to set an exception For the software to function.  I would go ahead and try the patch first.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

My one first simple question:

Have you changed how they are USB-connected to the computer?  I have an 8800F scanner. It's not using new drivers because there aren't new drivers, and the available Windows driver is fine with Windows 11.  What is true is that it does not work when connected through a USB hub. It has to be connected directly to the computer. The MF4770n scanning function could be the same. Does the MF4770n PRINT okay?

kdustman
Apprentice

Thank you all so much for the helpful replies. Finally got it sorted. The Canonscan 8800 issue required an update to MP Navigator. The MF4470n issue is something of a mystery but magically cured itself as soon as the tech arrived. (Love how that happens!) It's possible that the updated driver I installed finally got recognized, but honestly I don't know what the cure was, just that it now works! 

Announcements