cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there a thin vertical line on the copy when I use the feeder?

Ccorning
Apprentice

There is a thin vertical line on copies when I use the feeder but not when I copy from the glass. The copier is new. Any ideas?

22 REPLIES 22

Naomi
Enthusiast

Hi Ccorning!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know which model copier you own. That way, our Canon Forum members and our Subject Matter Experts will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your specific copier.

Thanks!

It's a D1320.

ImageClass D1320. Sorry.

Hi Ccorning,

When a vertical line (top to bottom) is produced only when using the feeder (ADF) of your laser product, the issue would actually be due to a small mark or debris on the scanning glass area that sits directly under the left panel cover of the ADF.  This occurs because as the paper feeds through the ADF and across the scanning area, every inch of the paper passes over the small mark which gets picked up by the scanner.  This then produces what looks like a line.  However, thorough cleaning can resolve the issue.

You can clean the platen glass and the underside of the ADF by following the procedure below.

1.  Turn OFF the Main Power Switch and disconnect the power cord.

2.  Open the ADF.

3.  Clean the ADF scanning area on the left side of the platen glass and the same area on the lid (the area that would touch the scanning area when the lid is down) with a cloth dampened with water.  You will want to carefully and fully clean the glass in the ADF scanning area.  Look for scratches, tiny spots and marks of any sort.  If marks are noticed, you may have to clean the platen glass up to three times or more depending on what created the mark (i.e.. correction fluid, pen ink).  You can use a soft lint free cloth either dry, with glass cleaner or water to clean the glass and may have to scrub until it squeaks to remove certain types of marks. 

NOTE: Please spray the cloth with the cleaning solution and not the glass. 

Another way to ensure the mark is removed is to use a credit card by placing in on a angle and sliding it across the glass in one direction.  The plastic of the card will not scratch the glass.  You can then lift the credit card when reaching the end of the glass and return to the other side to slide it across again.  Then wipe the area with a soft, dry cloth.

4.  Close the ADF.

5.  Reconnect the power cord and turn ON the Main Power Switch.

Caution:  Be careful not to get your fingers caught.

After cleaning the glass, run 4-5 blank/clean pages through to test it.  If the thin black line still appears, please try cleaning the scanning area again as a mark on the glass is the only cause for this.  If the issue persists, there may be a scratch in the glass which would require service.

If further assistance is needed, please feel free to Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the details on this.  I had the same issue and this was very helpful.

Does this apply to the Imageclass MF8580CDW model? Also what is the the ADF?

I have a MF8580 and it just started printing a 'red' line from top to bottom of all pages (1/2" in from right side) when using wireless from laptop...it prints perfectly fine from the feeder and copying from glass...
Any ideas??

I am also getting two thin verticle lines only when printing through my network.  Copying does not produce problems.  My lines are blue.  Canon MF8580CDW color laser printer.

Clean all the feeding mechanism components. It will fix the black lines that were appearing on copied documents when you will use the auto-feeder.

Announcements