cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing in Black & White w/ Spot Color

JP33
Apprentice

I have a Canon MX870 printer (4 color printer). When printing B&W photos, the color has a tint of magenta to it. I use photoshop cs6 to create the B&W image and have tried adjusting all kinds of settings on the software and on the printer.

I used to print them on my old Canon i850 and the black  turned out  VERY Black & White. When I use the Copier function of this All-In-One printer. Black and white copys turn out perfect. Very True Black. When I print from the computer, photos turn out tinted with magenta hue.

I read in another printer forum...

"Canons as a rule use the black cartridge when black is greater than
60% IIRC. Softer greys use a mix of the color cartridges. There is
little you can do about this."

Is there a way to change this? Or am I stuck having to send my photos to a printshop for printing? ... or buying a different printer??

Thanks for your advice

1 REPLY 1

Karl1
Rising Star

Hi JP33,

I would tend to agree with the forum post you are quoting.   The MX870 is a great printer, but since it's only got the black ink tank and the colors at it's disposal to make various shades of gray you may see some tinting in your black and white photos.  If you print alot of black and white photos you might want to consider looking into one of our printers that has a dedicated gray ink tank such as the PIXMA MG6320

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements